[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What /biz/ think about Poker as a career? Is it viable for a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: daniel negreanu.png (514 KB, 600x410) Image search: [Google]
daniel negreanu.png
514 KB, 600x410
What /biz/ think about Poker as a career? Is it viable for a poor boy like me?
>>
>>1357681
not likely even small stakes online is full of sharks now with odd calculator programs simply plying the skim.
>>
>>1357684
The microstakes sit-n-gos at 888 are full of donks and hothead russians. I social engineered a 5 usd bankroll from them for free and have built it up to 60 usd through 10 cent and 40 cent sit-n-gos, and the odd freeplay tournement.
>>
>>1358341
And how much of your time did that all take?
>>
>>1358342

That must be a lot of time, but imagine if you bet 10 thousand dollars.
>>
>>1358346
At nosebleed stakes youre up against pros that practice 20 hours a week and play 40 hours a week

youre going to get shafted hard unless you study for years
>>
>>1358342
Admittedly, it has been almost a year now. Though I don't really play to earn, its more of a come home and relax with a few games of poker while reading forums and listening to music.
>>
>>1358348
>implying 20 hours a week is a lot of practice

What if one practice 12 hours a day for 6 months?
>>
It's one of the hardest jobs I ever tried and that was 8-9 years ago, when the competition wasn't nearly as bad as it is today.
After the FullTilt crisis a lot of casuals just packed and left. Tables got a lot harder even on low stakes like NL50.
With that said if you are a thirdworlder and are willing to work 50+ hours/week, have a really strong discipline and savings to last you at least one year, its one of few ways to make decent money in a shithole like India or Ukraine.
>>
>>1357681
Poker as career is aimed at low IQ average guys who think you can get model pussy with pickup artist tricks, that you should be "peacocking" and that you can make "passive income" via richness fastlane and Tail Lopez methods and then retire in Vietnam, travelling the world and shit.

basically: idiot losers
>>
>>1358397
Brazilian here.
>>
>>1358397
>After the FullTilt crisis a lot of casuals just packed and left.
What was full tilt crisis? Elaborate?
>>
>>1358402
Check out black friday fulltilt
>>
>>1358365
The nosebleed pros studied hours everyday for years but they top up ANOTHER 20 hours a week even after playing poker for 10+ years
>>
>>1358402
The second largest online poker site (at the time) was embezzling player's money and basically became a ponzi scheme. Shit eventually hit the fan in 2011.
>>
>>1358416
Sounds pathetic way of life.

No contacts, no fun, no variety, only sitting at the desk and grinding numbers in a stupid game.

God damn it, if you are such a math nerd, just go and play stock market or Forex. Even that is better than this poker autism.

Then the guys get frustrated they are still poor and have no social skills and can't get girls, so buy into Mystery Method PUA shit. Typical loser dweebs.
>>
If you think this zero sum (negative sum) game isn't for dumb idiots, read the post.

You won't ever read something like this from value investors when S&P500 took a downswing.
>>
>>1358425
It doesn't have to be like that, but it usually pans out as you say.
I mean you sit in a room, alone, for 10 hours every day. Playing the fucking game, reading about it, watching videos about it. If you lose, you are pissed. If you break even you are also pissed. Every dollar lost hurts twice as much than a dollar won heals.
The only way to avoid this is to abandon all emotion when you 'work' and just focus on the process and also lead a balanced life outside the game. Wish I had discovered meditation at the time. But you also have to love the game. If you are in it just for the money, you will be really miserable.
>>
>>1358430
LITERALLY AUTISTIC
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.