[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Top Economics Graduate Programs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: shutterstock_57571180.jpg (771 KB, 1000x664) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_57571180.jpg
771 KB, 1000x664
>Just graduated high school, going to major in economics
>got into top 10 econ undergrad program, would cost about 300k for my degree
>end up attending small, decent Liberal Arts College with respected econ program (but not a top school/program)

I want to go to UChicago or the likes for graduate school. If I finish top of my class is there a chance I can get into a good graduate program? My test scores and statistics put me well above the average student, I think if I don't slack off I can pull this off.
>>
>>1356283
University of Chicago is not that hard to get into depending on what you want. It will be expensive though. Best thing to remember about any of the graduate business programs will be that you have to spend at least five years in the field actually working at a minimum before they will seriously look at you and this is what drives their low acceptance rate.
>>
>>1356283

Test scores and statistics mean nothing unless you have experience and good letters of recommendation. I got into Wharton with a barely above 3.0 GPA, but I have actual relevant work experience that most of my millennial peers don't have (seriously, working as a cashier at a fucking supermarket is the dumbest thing in the world for a prospective business grad student to do).

Be sure to get to know your professors well and they'll reward you with connections you'll need in the future. Every once in a while, I bought lunch for one of mine when I was an undergrad and he introduced me to a couple of those talking heads you see on CNBC and FOX Business. Sometimes it's pay to play, but it's worth it, trust me
>>
Top xx in any major means absolutely nothing if it's not ivy
>>
>>1356283
It's all about letters of rec; gpa and gre are just so your app isnt auto-trashed, but neither will get you in top a top grad school
>>
>>1356283
Also, get an A in real analysis
>>
>>1356302
This. A lot of graduates school for business and economics are looking for experienced workers. This is why you also noticed GPA is no longer "tracked" on their websites. They want people who worked in the real world and come to their schools with their connections and possibly money. They'll look for your test scores though.
>>1356340
Graduates school overwrite GPA and test score if you have at least 3-5 years of relevant experience. Even a fucking B2B job is more relevant than most millennials post college jobs. For top 5 programs its different, but usually they fucked you in tuition.
>>
>>got into top 10 econ undergrad program, would cost about 300k for what-the-fuck-ever

You're a fucking retard... They just see your folks as cash cows.

If you're actually smart, go to Europe and study for free.

But you're not actually smart, you're a retard with a rich daddy.... You will DJ better whoring yourself to his Hollywood pedo buddies
>>
>>1356464

You're a dumbass if you think your degree from Europe will be anything but a good shitstain wiper in the US.
>>
>>1356473
Depends which European university he get it from. Lots of Americans go to Europe for grad school and come back to the US to attend a top tier PhD program. American universities in the past were not difficult to get admitted into their programs. They had lower GPA and test scores requirements. At times none at all. Law schools these days are lowering their requirements because less and less kids are going to law school. By 2020 it is projected law schools will return to their 1960-70s levels.
>>
>>1356283
>going to the mid/lower tier undergrad schools instead of peak tier

Ya dun......anti-goofed

Good call, nobody says "oh hey, did you go to state or did you go to harvard for your undergrad?"

Did you get it and did you do good, that's all that matters.
>>
>>1356490
In the real world they just ask where do you work or what's your job title. Too many people don't care about your educational background. Even among college grads. Only super old farts care about this sort of stuff.
>>
>>1356496
agreed, and it's fuckin dumb. I work in fisheries management, where you went to school means fuck all, how much do you know about the job and what it takes to effectively communicate between industry and policy?
>>
>>1356508
They only care if you can communicate effectively. Everything else can be taught or picked up along the way. I've seen butt fuck of no where state U's at top companies and no one knows they went to these schools. /sci/ tells all their newfags that where you got your STEM degree doesn't matter. Even at the graduate level. Everyone uses the same fucking labs. All it matters if you can get funding on your own and accepted into those prestigious fellowships. Also what's fisheries management?
>>
>>1356486

While I do agree it's about where he goes in Europe (can't argue with Cambridge and schools like that) most of the rest of Europe outside of the UK is not as up to standards when it comes to degrees. I'm a European whose lived in the US my whole life and every single person I've known that's come from Europe has had their degrees mean absolute shit nothing in the US.
>>
>>1356521
Correct on all, fuck all where you came from, are you good or bad?

>fisheries management

I manage a large portion of salmon for the west coast USA. Let's say there's X total fish availability.

>endangered species act

You now have subdivisions of all the fish into many subrivers that they derive from, so you have to make sure those rivers have fish to come home and make babies

>Y river is the most imperiled, they are the rate limiting factor

So all of the fisheries are sampled and evaluated for their pull on Y river and curtailed in a weighted/fair factor so that everyone can make money AND get fish back to the river to spawn

So it's my job to make sure those fish get home, what I said wasvastly oversimplified, but, very close.

I spend most of my year on the dock or in the river.
>>
>>1356532
I agree. France has a couple of good schools and so does Italy. But in general they're dogshit. European governments neglect higher education compare to their k-12 system. An American higher education degree is golden around the world. Its why everyone wants to attend college here. The UK only has a couple of good schools. You're better off at some State college in the US than in Europe.
>>
>>1356551
Your job is to make sure fishes fuck? I guess there is a job for everything. How do you get into that industry?
>>
>>1356554
Well, yeah, they have to fuck to make more big fish in the future.

>how get in?

started fishing as a kid, loved the water, spent years on the ocean, and just slowly got into the regulation thereof.

I function primarily as a quantitative analyst, however, my main value is being able to pair that raw scientific analysis with the industrial side of things. Go figure the fucking nerds and politicians have never pumped hyrdaulics or ran gear for days on end, so I marry the two constituencies.
>>
>>1356558
So you have a degree in oceanography or marine bio? Sounds cool you get to spent your time in the open.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.