[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Office Politics and Corporate Backstabbing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
I've recently seriously lucked into a job that I don't really have the experience for and I'm wondering if /biz/ can give me some advice on climbing the corporate ladder.

Bit of backstory:

I'm quite an inexperienced manager and I applied for a "department supervisor" position where my line manager would have been the "Director of Operations" who was currently ill (he'd had a stroke and had been in hospital for a few months) The company is a call centre in the security and software industry with about 30 employees.

I don't really know what happened in the interview. I was interviewed by the owner and managing director of the company, he just chatted to me and asked me non of the standard interview questions for a management job. At the end of the interview he offered me £5,000 more than the advertised salary and the rank of "Department manager", I would also not be junior to the "Director of Operations", I'd be directly under him (The MD) (Said something about me being "The right age" (I'm 26))

I've now been at the company a month, through some casual conversations I've had with the MD on the structure of the company, he considers me on the same ranking as the "director of operations" within the company structure. Although I don't understand this as Director of Operations is a much much higher position than Department Manager since you are on the board of directors. I'm guessing it also has a much better salary. I've also learnt that the Director of Operations wont be coming back to work for at least another year, he can barely walk at the moment. He's also close to retirement anyway (He's 60) so might not ever come back. The Owner/MD also shared some issues he had with the guy, stating he's an "over promoted security guard" that got the job "Because he's sort of my mate" and he's actually pretty incompetent at his job.

The question is how do I steal this guys job, become the new director of operations and become a successful corporate psychopath?
>>
And if I can't steal his job how do I readdress the balance?

If two people are on the same rank, one of them can't have a much better title than the other and a much larger pay cheque. I'll need the same pay as him and a similar title.

The MD/Owner has expressed that he doesn't give a fuck about job titles, but in the real world people do.
>>
File: 1466976769139.jpg (2 MB, 2662x4000) Image search: [Google]
1466976769139.jpg
2 MB, 2662x4000
And the reason I'm a department manager at 26 years old, with 6 months managerial experience?

My salary is about on par with the lowest ranked manager at a large company. My title is massively over inflated because of the small size of the company (30 employees)

If I had the same title at a normal sized call centre my salary would be double or even triple.

So I'm not really qualified to be a department manager, but now that it's on my CV I'm golden.
>>
File: pretty-secretary1.jpg (27 KB, 478x640) Image search: [Google]
pretty-secretary1.jpg
27 KB, 478x640
Another casual conversation I had with the MD/Owner surrounding titles where I was discussing how grateful I was to have the job as the title looks fantastic on my cv, the MD/Owner said to me "Well look do you want to leave here after 3 years with a fantastic CV and reference? Or do you want to be the Managing Director on £50k because I'm at home taking an early retirement?"

How would /biz/ play this? As I honestly think this is the best career opportunity I've ever had. Most people get stuck as low grade managers for life.

I've been asked to hire a supervisor to be my assistant (The job I originally applied for). Not wanting someone that could potentially be a danger to me. I've already redefined the role as more of a senior customer service agent and less like a junior manager, I've also lowered the advertised salary.
>>
Oh, and just to add in case it wasn't clear.

I don't have any issues with doing anything, I am willing to destroy people's careers to reach the top.
>>
File: 1441486992244.jpg (88 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1441486992244.jpg
88 KB, 500x501
My advice is to get this line on your resume and switch companies for a much bigger one.

You always get bigger wage upgrade by switching than staying at the same company.
>>
>>1354663
Nice blog, homo. I bet you don't even make that much money.

I hope some faggot ruins your sorry career.
>>
>>1354745
Literally said I'm paid 1/3rd of market rate when compared to other companies
>>
>>1354663
holy fuck that chick is hot
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.