[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the skinny on sales positions? Real jobs, not slimy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: usedcarsalesman.jpg (35 KB, 500x397) Image search: [Google]
usedcarsalesman.jpg
35 KB, 500x397
What's the skinny on sales positions? Real jobs, not slimy used car shit, not pyramid, not get rich quick.

Can you learn these skills or is it part of a personality? Is the commission aspect needless stress or potential to do better? What do you think of a numbers based performance measurement?

You see sales jobs everywhere. Is that because people are unnecessarily scared of these jobs? Is it because they aren't worth it? Is it because of high turnover due to the difficulty and stress?
>>
It's because cunts like you think salespeople are slimy.
>>
>>1348113
So get the truth out there. That's why I made this thread. Where is the disconnect? What don't customers and prospective employees understand about sales?
>>
sales jobs are everywhere because a good salesman benefits both the company and the worker, and pay is scaled off of performance.

personality plays a role, but any personality can excel in sales. even an introvert can be a great salesman, provided they are good relationship builders and often make for good listeners.

a huge part of being successful in sales is knowing and believing in your product. being equipped with such knowledge will give you confidence regardless of your personality type. know how autists are fucking impossible to talk to unless you ask them about the ONE thing they love, and then they can tell you each and every aspect of it? Well anyone can be that autist to start, and then the rest of the skills are acquired over time (business savvy, shooting the shit, etc)

commission aspect is huge. a numbers based performance measurement is probably the best. the second you stop keeping track of your numbers is the second you lose motivation and your numbers start to slip. you CANNOT be comfortable as a salesman - it is high stress. if you become comfortable how you're performing, that performance slips. trust.
>>
You make the money when you buy,

sales is just about how hard you can rip people off

If the product was actually worth the price it would sell itself
>>
>>1348142
simply not true, more times than not you have to educate the customer on why the product is worth the price

people are fucking cheap, nothing that is more than a bargain is going to "sell itself" without some education
>>
>>1348121

Just like everything sales is a numbers game. The disconnect you might be referencing is that sales people know they have to talk to at least 10 people and make an honest effort with all 10 people to possibly even get 1 sale.

That means that out of the 9 people that didn't buy, 3 will be interested (or feign interest), and 6 will tell you to fuck off with varying degrees of politeness.

As a sales person you have to do the numbers or you're out of a job (or worse, not making any money at all) - if someone doesn't like that, that's their problem.

Nobody likes being hassled to buy something they don't need or can't afford. Sales has this mentality that a good salesman can make anyone buy anything. While that is partially true it's not an absolute truth. Middling sales people only need to have good systems in place and hit their numbers (attempts, follow ups, etc) and they can make good money.
>>
>>1348151

Idk I did a lot of big ticket sales (motorbikes,cars, real estate) and most already know what they want before they even talk to me. I never had much success talking people into purchases
>>
>>1348157
How much did you make?
>>
>>1348142

I could see how someone could say that because they are extremely unscrupulous sales people in this industry.

It's simply not the case though. Plenty of sales people use honest techniques and have quality products. It's the people with antiquated, bad, or uninteresting products that have to resort to that kind of behavior.

I've worked a number of sales job, i'm in insurance now (insurance is a scam but i just sell the stuff, thank the united states government for me). I basically just call people when they are renewing and ask them if they want a quote or need insurance. My products sells itself because it's required by law or financial institutions that someone have it.

I have worked as a kirby vacuum salesman before and let me tell you.; nobody needs a kirby vacuum. The most crooked salesman i've ever encountered were in that industry and on used car lots.
>>
>>1348162

in total? idk

I've managed to save tens of thousands in the last few years, so at least a living wage. nothing crazy
>>
>>1348166

ye I can imagine. insurance sales must be a lot of explaining

most people are financially retarded nowadays
>>
>>1348178

Not really. The state imposes minimum coverage amounts in various industries and financial institutions require minimum amounts of coverage for stuff they give loans for.

If i can beat a competitors price i usually get the sale. I don't have to explain much.
>>
>>1348104
Fuck off man I got confused and thought LPG was making a post somewhere
>>
>>1348104

Been a salesman in many avenues.

Sales is only good if:

a) you genuinely enjoy/like your product
b) you have good training and support

But mostly (a)
>>
You really must love what you are selling, if you are not into it, then your customer will have no confidence in buying. If you are a people person, its a definite plus.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.