[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Codemonkey here. I never programmed for a living - only coded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 67405848.jpg (51 KB, 604x574) Image search: [Google]
67405848.jpg
51 KB, 604x574
Codemonkey here. I never programmed for a living - only coded game mods, sites for me and my friens, and so on.
I'm in my early 20s and still living with my parents, and I figure it's time for this to change.
I know that it's easy to make money semi-illegally online (via click fraud, spam, adware, botnet installs), but I don't want to take the risk, and I want to make money by actually contributing something to the society.

As of now, what's the best niche for someone like me?
Here's my skillset:
>studying CS-Math at uni
>coding and programming (mostly C, C++, Python, Lua)
>some SEO experience
>OK webdesign experience (both backend and frontend, more or less good knowledge of BootStrap and WordPress specifics)

People have told me that coding WordPress themes on demand and whitehat SEO pay pretty good as of now. Is it true? Are there any other avenues?
What about performing pentests for a pay? Is there any demand for this online, that comes from whitehats?
>>
>>1341029

Get a job in IT at a bank or something
>>
>>1341029
virtual kneepads
>>
>>1341029
Tutor.
>>
>>1341061
What should I teach? And is it worth it to do it online? Because I don't like meeting and talking to people IRL.
As far as I know tutoring online is an option, but what is the average hourly pay for someone who hasn't earned a diploma yet?

I would love to teach calculus and programming to college freshmen over the Internet. But can I do it without having to use a webcam? I don't like using webcam with people I don't know at all.
>>
How much do you charge for a site?
Could you make flash games or shit like that from zero?
>>
>>1341078
Yeah tutor people online in C++/C#/Java or something.

You did the coursework, now show them how.
>>
>>1341078
I've gotten 20 euro/hour for 1 on 1 IRL tutoring, and that's also what the intermediary companies charge IME (of which they pay the poor tutors 10/hour, I was one of them). But you're gonna have to be at least moderately good at teaching shit and be patient and stuff, if you're shit the kids parents will probably catch on to that real quick.
>>
Why not just get a coding job? Even with no college degree, you can code software for a company. Nothing fun or interesting, but it beats being a NEET.
>>
There is so much work for decent coders why ask
Or are you fishing for semi illegal stuff anyway
>>
>>1341482
There's a lot for work for shitty coders too, if you are willing to work for 40k.
>>
>>1341459
This OP doesn't know what skills he has desu.

I've seen people who's shown their work on Gary's Mod and a few other c# projects and have gotten decent paying jobs.

Just keep doing projects and thus add to your portfolio.
>>
>>1341782
I actually coded a gamemode for Garry's Mod that had over a hundred thousand downloads back in the 2009-2010. I also coded a range of other stuff, and found and reported many critical exploits in Garry's Mod. I used to code and play with FPTje (who maintains DarkRP right now), Seth, Stan, CapsAdmin and others a lot back then. I used to be one of the top coders, but then I decided that I was wasting my life on it and stopped playing it and coding for it.
I moved on to making Half Life 2 mods, and then played around with independent game engines a bit.
After that, I decided to pursue other kind of coding that was more serious.

I know what skills I have, but I don't even know what I want. I know that I need to make some money, but I'm wondering what kind of work would be appealing and generate at least some minimal revenue at the same time.
>>
>>1341782
>>1341459
And I don't want to work IRL. I want to work online, even if I make just half of what a real job would generate in terms of revenue.

All of my other friends from Garry's Mod ended up working in semi-legal or illegal Internet business, such as doing click fraud, maintaining botnets and attacking websites, spreading adware, and so on. Looking at them, I know what actually does make some money on the Internet. But I don't want this kind of illegal money. I want to do something beneficial to the society, yet work online at the same time.
Sadly, there seems to be very little options available, apart from the WordPress theme coding, making websites, and SEO. I'm wondering whether there are any other niches that actually work and are big enough to be worth the time.
>>
File: Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-04.png (74 KB, 412x351) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-04.png
74 KB, 412x351
>>1341782
Fuck, your post brought up these memories... of spending my childhood in a video game amog cybercriminals... coming back home crying and wishing you could just die in your sleep, every single day... of your classmates making fun of you because you seemed completely aloof and stood away from everyone because you had autism...

I don't usually cry, and it's very hard for me because of my autism. I think I haven't actually cried for what must over a decade. But these memories bring tears to my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puQFTV9Cn1k
>>
>>1341965
You're an asshole.
My god i've worked with some stupid ass faggots that make flashgames and they earn 3k month easy, with your skills you can live sorrounded by money.
Start a fucking patreon, code shits, find a niche and make mods, flashgames, addons and what the hell you want.
>>
>>1341990
Any creative skills?
How is your writing/drawing/pixelart/3d modelling/texturing?
>>
>>1342123
>Any creative skills?
he's a programmer, how is that not a "creative skill"?
>>
Learn the Javascript like languages for making dapps and help people set up approved payments for their business. They can even get paid in bitcoin or ether.

Or make some sports info site scrapers for gamblers that think they have a system in a gambling forum.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.