[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys please help a random junior level college student out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1466106502359.jpg (77 KB, 499x440) Image search: [Google]
1466106502359.jpg
77 KB, 499x440
Hey guys please help a random junior level college student out

Im trying to decide if I should dual major in accounting and finance
Or accounting and information systems

I think finance would be more interesting but I go to a tier 2 state school so I dont think it has the connections to get into investment trading and what else would you do with a finance degree that accounting wouldn't cover?

I dont find Info systems as interesting but I think the extra technological skills would give me would give me a better edge in the local private industry if it was combined with accounting.

What do you guys think? I'm not even for sure if I want to stay in the business field my whole life and get my CPA so I'm just trying to give me the best shot of finding a decent job. Hopefully over 40k starting.
>>
>>1338556
Information systems. Trust me.
>>
>>1338556
finance will be harder but more beneficial in the long run. accounting and finance sets you up for more specified career path that will always be valuable.

Information systems will give you a degree which won't be as valuable because it is not specified to either direction and they do not compliment each other very well. You will most likely dropping one to concentrate on the other.
>>
>>1338561
Can you be a little more specific why?
I'm leaning towards that as well simply because people in upper levels of company's seem to have a higher understandings of computers and computer networks

I was also told HR people who look at applicants see an accounting and finance combo as redundant
>>
>>1338576
people in HR are idiots. Accounting lets you do accountancy and finance puts you ahead for your future exams if you want to be a financial adviser. It's only 'redundant' if you're applying for a job in an area where you won't be directly using either skill.

And if you're not in a job that directly uses either skill it doesn't matter what degree you choose.
>>
>>1338576
well honestly i agree with>>1338568 in that accounting and info systems don't really compliment each other as well as accounting+finance or finance+info systems.

Finance+info systems would be ideal, but you posed the question as if that was not an option and you also said you were unsure about getting your CPA, so I figure Information systems plus possible grad school could set you up for much bank.

This information/data stuff will just get more and more in demand. And there's probably some niche jobs that you could fill with accounting+info systems.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.