[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Back up plans for degree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: stastsold.jpg (94 KB, 472x332) Image search: [Google]
stastsold.jpg
94 KB, 472x332
Hey /biz/. So I am currently in university studying psychology and my goal is to get into medical school and eventually specialize in psychiatry, dermatology or family medicine. Regardless of what I do, I won't have any student debts.

That being said I want a back up plan in case I don't get into medical school. One other option for me would be to do graduate school for a psychology specialization I like to get a masters degree and PhD.

But I want one more option I could do with just a bachelors degree, and I have been looking a little more into data analyst jobs. There is a fair amount of statistical data analysis in psychological research, and I am in the process of taking a psychological stats analysis course.

How easy (or difficult) is it to land a job doing data analysis coming from my background? Ideally I would like to make at least 40-50k starting out.

Thanks
>>
>>1338460
>my goal is to get into medical school

Is that your dream? It sounds like you are focusing in a lot of stuff. If you want to go to medical school you should be studying for the Mcat.

Data Analyst..how much programming experience do you have? Please tell me you have more experience than SPSS and excel.
>>
>>1338562

>Is that your dream?

Yes, it is. My dream is to have a career as a physician. I have an MCAT prep book I am reading and I plan to take MCAT prep courses.

As for programming experience, not much at all. I was thinking of doing a minor in statistics though. What do you think about this?
>>
>>1338565
Definitely recommend reading the MCAT if you want to go to med school. Hope you understand how incredibly hard getting into med school is.

A lot of data analyst jobs are going to programmers who know data mining and data science tools.

If you want to do data analyst I would recommend data mining minor/classes instead of statistics (data mining is just statics).
>>
>>1338579

I understand how difficult it is. I live in Canada and there are some schools here that don't need the MCAT. But I am going to study for it anyway. I volunteer, am doing my best to have a high GPA and we'll see. I have still have maybe 1.5 years before I apply. I will look into data mining though. Thanks.
>>
>>1338597
>Canada

Good luck, it's fucking retarded here and you're not going to stand out from the other 1000 psychology majors. Looking at a minimum 90% + extraordinary ECs

t. fellow med school applicant
>>
>>1338613

>1000 psychology majors

You realize most med school applicants are bio majors right?
>>
>>1338617
A lot are psychology too. Look at the statistics. People besides for you figured out it was how to get easy As.
>>
>>1338620

There are much more bio/science majors than psychology majors applying to med school. Most psych majors end up working at starbucks or become psychologists which is not really related to the medical field.
>>
I just wanna get degrees cause I can. Like physics is gr8 I want a physics degree
>>
>>1338627
I suggest you look up the statistics. While it's true many biology majors apply, many applicants have psychology degrees. What makes you stand out from them and the biology graduates?
>>
>>1338631

I regret not getting into astronomy/physics.
>>
>>1338635

I was only aware that medical schools released those kinds of statistics on *accepted* applicants not those who applied in general. I think the only stats released on all applicants are age, sex, and GPA/MCAT score?

If you can link me to the stats you talk about I will believe you. But I have been on sites like premed101 and have had plenty of friends from non science backgrounds get into med schools. I've never seen the statistics you talk about.

> What makes you stand out from them and the biology graduates?

Life experience. That might sound cliche but there are a few things that separate me from the coddled 4.0 bio applicant who thinks the only thing that makes a physician are high grades and perfect MCAT scores.
>>
>no one mentioning biomedical engineering
My girlfriend complains all the time how med schools look up to them like gods among the stupid.
>>
The highest scoring MCAT takers are always engineer, physics, and economics majors

better luck next time with your special snowflake degree
>>
>>1338679

>He thinks that high MCAT scores get you into medical school

Not that they hurt, but do you know how many people with high MCAT scores and high GPA's get rejected from medical schools every year? Tons. You know why? Because they fuck up the interview. The interview is the most important part of the med school process. Some medschools even have an autist filter test called Casper which all these socially inadequate people fuck up because they think the only thing that matters for med schools are perfect grades so they spend their weekends indoors memorizing every irrelevant part of a lecture.

There is way more that goes into being a physician than undergrad grades and an MCAT score. You realize that most undergrad majors won't even prepare an applicant for medschool curriculum right?
>>
>>1338636
Just do free refresher courses, see if you still enjoy it
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.