[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much did you make during the Brexit shenanigans lads? Personally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
How much did you make during the Brexit shenanigans lads?

Personally I voted leave and thought we would win by maybe 5%, so the margin of victory was narrower than I expected but the result was still the same and luckily the market was basically sure Brexit wouldn't happen and Remain was priced in, so the shock was about as big as it could possibly have been.

I'm up just under £7k so far and very pleased and confident that this trade will keep on giving. Very much long sterling after buying at $1.3470
>>
>>1338421
what did you short?
>>
>>1338426

the pound m8
>>
>>1338436
oh duh sorry

I have seen the news but I heard on /biz/ that britians market was doing better than the rest of europe, so what made the pound lose it's value?
>>
>>1338444
I haven't seen the news I mean
>>
>>1338444

Markets overreacting as usual. Ultimately UK's economy will do much better outside of the EU, but people are always terrified by 'muh uncertainty' and start panic-selling for no reason.

It was exacerbated by the fact that almost nobody believed the UK would actually leave. All polls in the days leading up to the vote had suggested that Remain would win, either by a narrow margin or a large margin - but none suggested Leave would win.

As polls closed, betting markets suggested a 95% chance of Remain winning.

At that point, I shorted even more GBP as it rocketed up to the highest point of the year - two hours later the first results started to come out and it was clear that 'Leave' was doing significantly better than it should have been doing if Remain were actually going to win. This dawned slowly on the markets, and then all at once. In the space of a few minutes, sterling fell by more than 9% against the USD - more than twice as much as our previous biggest-ever intraday move and all hell was breaking loose. I got out of the short at just under $1.36 and went long but it continued falling before hitting around $1.3320 or something ridiculous and then rebounded. Now settled at $1.3680 and I have every confidence that it'll be over $1.50 by Christmas.

Top quality banter, top quality trading, top quality getting our country back.
>>
>>1338464
How much did you make?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.