[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does a talent agent do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Hey there guys, I'm a newly rising voice actor and I got myself an agent but I worry that she's not really doing her job so I'm curios what exactly a Talent Agent does? It's my understanding that as the Talent it's my job to provide her good material of mine to show others, and from there it's her job to find me work.

Meanwhile I have an agent who is basically saying that any voice over job that comes her way she will submit me for, but that it's MY job to actively look for work. I'm wondering if this is normal, or if my agent is just plain lazy.
>>
>talent agent

Literally a leech. Hopefully you haven't paid her a dime
>>
>>1327093
I paid her a one time fee of $60 and agreed that she gets 15% of what I make after. Which actually has paid off as she used some connections to get me a professionally made demo for free. So she did that right at least.
>>
>>1327072
How good are you at negotiating contracts and selling yourself?
Like a real estate agent they profit off your ignorance, laziness and lack of time/resources/professionalism.
Some are just buddies with producers, and have a good farm to pull from when the producer asks for something specific.
>>
>>1327153
I feel like I have the confidence and talent to market myself, I just simply don't have the connections to do so. This is where I thought an agent would come in, but as it is now she doesn't actively look for any work for me, just submits me for jobs that come her way.
>>
Find you gigs. Take a cut.
>>
>>1327160
(get a new agent)
>>
>>1327131

Agents make 10% tops. If you aren't getting gigs then find a new one.

>>1327158

That's usually all they do. Get a cheap website on Squarespace or something and put up a portfolio. Start searching for voice over jobs and take anything you can find just to build up a resume. Who cares if you're the voice over guy for catheter sales? CSPAN has a surprisingly large audience.
>>
Former actor here.

It's give and take with agents, you both need to put in work.

Sounds like she is not bad.

Just never give them money.

Good luck, voice acting can be very lucrative but you need that golden voice that is so rare.
>>
>>1327825
Were you in Home Alone?
>>
>>1327093

This.

They are parasites like staffing agencies.
>>
>>1327838
Yeah, they blow.
Mine got me an ad worth $50K, but my guess is I would have run in to the director myself anyway.
He gets coffee at the McDonald's I go to.
>>
1. FIRE your agent
2. Open a account on voices.com
3. Watch all the casting jobs pour into your inbox
4. Thank me later
>>
>>1327842
>Coffee at McDonalds
AbsolutelyDisgusting.wmv
>>
>>1327072
Talent agents only work when:
1. They like you
2. When you have talent
3. When they're actually good at their jobs

Did you get some shit tier talent agent from some no name agency OP? Or did you get one of the agents from one of the big named agencies?
>>
>>1328105
>AbsolutelyDisgusting
It's a disgusting kind of town
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.