[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Science Major >Graduated and have an ok government job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
>Science Major
>Graduated and have an ok government job that makes ok money (like I could go on vacation once or so a year, but I will never own a vacation house)
>Want to get ahead and maybe get into Portfolio Management (my mentor who was an Investment Banker says that its a good balance between money, and personal life, he says IB is not worth it)
>Want to take the GMAT and get an MBA from hopefully, some Ivy League School, which would be easy since I am a minority (yellow)
>Studying for the GMAT
>Bored out of my mind

I dont know if its because I am not in "student-mode" anymore but what I am studying and what I am looking at does not interest me at all.

Shall I continue? Or should I just take the MCAT and play on my strengths? How far are you willing to go to earn money? I say this because I feel like I am self-flagellating myself psychologically.
>>
File: fitness-motivation-ali.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
fitness-motivation-ali.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1200
>pic related
>>
>>1326275
pic not necessarily related, actually.
Muhammad Ali cared for being a champion more than he cared for the training. He had a passion for boxing regardless of how he felt about training.
This might or might not be true for the OP. OP, what do you value more? Think about the reasons that made you go into science, and think about the reasons you're studying for the GMAT now. Think about your passions, interests, and how well you can play on those to make money.
Sure, you are on /biz/ and you're asking /biz/ for advice, but yours isn't exactly a biz related question, so, yeah, know that there isn't only one way to getting "own a vacation house" rich and that there *might* be paths better suited to your interests, passions and strengths.

On the other hand, though, whichever knowledge you acquire will always help you, regardless of what you chose to do once you've acquired it. If the GMAT is terrible, you probably won't enjoy any of the things that come from it, though, and you'll find that your time could've been better invested.

So think.
>>
>>1326298
If I followed my actual interests then I would stay at my job and just be an average joe just like I described in my OP.

My problem, and I think it's not unique, is that I like the idea of making a lot of money and I like what I do now. I want to make enough to know for sure if money is the key to happiness
>>
>>1326298
BTW just reading your post made me want to study for the GMAT more. Idk why, but it did.

I would probably use a different method of studying. Probably would try to get into a class, instead.
>>
File: alphabrobruh.png (465 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
alphabrobruh.png
465 KB, 480x600
Pic related; goals af

>inb4 trustfund baby

so? I wanna be as rich as him
>>
File: feels3.jpg (50 KB, 736x550) Image search: [Google]
feels3.jpg
50 KB, 736x550
>>1326298
>>1326353
>tfw if i followed my dreams i would be doing blacksmithing and training in several martial arts, all of which will give me absolutely no money

getting rich fast with mech. engineering is all that i have
>>
>Asians are a minority in academia
Wew lad, Asians get less preferential treatment than whites these days
>>
>>1326252
>I am a minority (yellow)
you're in for a surprise, chang.

unless you're some filipino or malay shit skin.
>>
>>1326757
>filename
you'll never get there. Just get a hooker each month with your mediocre salary.
>>
>>1326761
Being an employee will never, ever get you rich.
>>
File: despair.jpg (129 KB, 869x943) Image search: [Google]
despair.jpg
129 KB, 869x943
>>1327348
i'm hopping to get into the administrative / travelling salesman of some company and make good money, hopefully more than 20k/month after taxes

And i will try to get some freelance jobs as a traslator, got pt-br, english and german down, gonna finish french soon

it's either that or wageslaving and alcoolism
>>
Here is actual fucking advice.

I assume you are working for the Federal Government. It is fairly easy to switch between fed jobs, much easier than getting hired without already being at an agency. Therefore, go to usajob.gov and find a job at a banking or regulatory agency. SEC, FDIC, NCUA, PBGC, CFPB, etc.

With experience at a regulatory agency, you are 1000 times more valuable to any firm.
>>
>>1326252
>yellow
They're not looking for that kind of minority mang, you gotta be black or brown
>>
File: 1466222248841.jpg (40 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1466222248841.jpg
40 KB, 657x527
>Make suicide cool
>Degenerates eliminate themselves from gene pool
>????
>Profit
>>
>>1327497
Wut?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.