[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice for youngin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (688 KB, 460x628) Image search: [Google]
image.png
688 KB, 460x628
So I've read the sticky, this isn't a "how do I get rich guise" post.

I'm 18, a couple bucks to my name, no inheritance and no special skills. My dad lost his $100,000 job and don't know what's going to happen.

What skills should I train in, where should I work? Unskilled labor. I live in PA, there's really nothing good economically here. Should I get out of this state or train/take classes? I'm thinking electrical work as a skill.

I don't want to be rich, just enough to comfortably live with a family down the road
>>
Live like a monk, save 70%+ of your earnings, invest them in market index and you'll be free from "just lost my job" problems.
>>
Who is your daddy and what does he do?

I mean, what did your dad do for a living?
I'm only asking since if he was earning $100k I'm assuming he was a knowledge worker, and maybe you can leverage that.

I'll expand on that if you answer.
>>
>>1325451
>market index
Be more specific
>>
>>1326374
he means an ETF (Exchange Traded Fund) which tracks a market index (i.e. S&P 500), so the interest is related to the performance of the market in general. Low risk and good return on the long term. Also, requires no knowledge of investing to set up.
>>
>>1325416

>read the sticky

nigga what we have no sticky lmao
>>
>>1327017
Yes we do you inbred imbecile.
>>
>>1326796
not op but 19 years old.
I live in my own apartment and have 2300eur in my bank account, 650+eur cash and at least 800eur and counting ad money from google.
I want to set aside some money and wondered what the best option would ne as it would just sit in the bank. Should I put 2000 in etf and add some every month? At the moment I work two 450eur jobs and make around 400eur/month from an app (hard to predict how it will perform as it is just three months up). I would like to save at least 400 per month and make around 20k profit next year with the buisness I'm starting.
TL;DR: What is the best option for me to save some money except the bank?
>>
>>1325416
electricians make good money.

try to take government jobs
get your commercial drivers license
learn how to become a plumber

what did your dad do for a living?
>>
>>1327629

>father was a career truck driver
>always discouraged me from getting into it
>told me it's not worth the money at all and it doesn't even pay that good
>tells me that the main reason they're always hiring truckers is because everyone quits for another job after a short time

Has he been doing it wrong, lying to me, or is it true and is just a stepping stone job?
>>
>>1327640
get your CDL either why because it makes you stand out more. you could drive a school bus or city bus if you want too. or a tow truck driver or a tanker driver. you could even land a job with like UPS, USPS, FEDEX. they always need drivers. or you could even become a truck mechanic of you want too. if you can try to take government jobs too.

>>told me it's not worth the money at all and it doesn't even pay that good
but he's made 100k a year
>>
>>1327678
>>1327629
>getting a CDL
>in 20 fucking 16

m8, are you completely unaware of self-driving cars?

Even with bureaucracy slowing it down, I give it 15-20 years. The "experts" like to say it'll be here by 2020 or so, but I don't buy that. We all know how slow the govt is
>>
>>1327781
>self-driving cars

somethings are ment to be operated by people, have you seen whats happen with tesla. the car moves on its own and has crashed. its happened to several people

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a29133/tesla-self-driving-crash-summon-autonomous/

still being able to drive a heavy duty truck can give OP a advantage over someone who can't. i would
never trust a self driving car
>>
>>1327079
Your matress
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.