[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /biz/ I'm trying to figure out how to get my product
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: samurai_champloo_by_cman.jpg (356 KB, 2560x1024) Image search: [Google]
samurai_champloo_by_cman.jpg
356 KB, 2560x1024
Hey /biz/ I'm trying to figure out how to get my product on more store shelves, or possibly expand my business. I sell edible goods at local markets and events, but I want to earn more. Does anyone have good ideas on how I can do this? Or possibly some marketing ideas?
>>
>>1325182
Get some local grocer to stock your product. Really depends on how good and what type of product it is. For example, local honey does really well in grocery stores, but local potato chips nobody would care about.
>>
>>1325182
what you sell?
>>
>>1325187

How should I go about contacting them? Is there a standard method of approach? Possibly a template I could glance over?

>>1325218

I sell gourmet chocolate.
>>
>>1325248
Thats going to be a tough sell OP. Go to local candy shops and try your very best to get some shelf space.
You could also try to get a website going.
Either way you are going to have to market the shit out of your chocolate.
>>
>>1325248
Schmooz your way up to the owner, send them a gift basket possibly. Go face to face with them. It's much harder to deny someone face to face.

It all comes down to you and your abilities to sell your product though. Don't get discouraged if someone turns you down. You still built a business connection. You will learn over time how to convince people to go along with whatever your selling.

It's not about making that mad bank at first, it's just building up connections so that you can later.I am very good in business interactions, so I play to that strength. You might be completely socially inept and that's fine, you just have to work around it. In that case, you should probably go more towards the gift basket route.

Disclaimer though: I've never actually tried to get a product sold in a store. However, I think this is pretty solid advice.
>>
>>1325182

the phone, the email, the in-person visit

work your way all the way to the top. Never be afraid to pitch no matter how big the fish is. The bigger the better.

Last week my buddy ran into Mark Cuban on the streets of NYC. He tried to pitch him on his business, but Mark said he was busy and shut him down. He tried though.
>>
>>1325182

A good sales pitch template:

5 calls a day
5 emails a day
2 in person visits per day
>in order to get...
1 sales meeting per week

work those numbers, that's sales.
>>
>>1325274
I place a lot of value on in-person visits for small businesses. That's the primary advantage small businesses have over large ones: they are personal. The business is the person and the person is the business, so if you are social and able to build relationships with other people, you (and the business) can really excel.
>>
File: BcJsddm.jpg (33 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
BcJsddm.jpg
33 KB, 480x270
>>1325308
>>1325274

So far I've been great at establishing business connections with people. Giving other vendors free product, or trading with them and discussing how sales are doing, and generally helping them out.

I guess my main issue is;

1) What do you email them? Obviously I will be contacting them trying to get shelf space, but how should I go about asking them? I'd send them my wholesale price list and maybe some details on the company? What else? Do I need to show them sales numbers or talk about what markets, events, awards I currently attend/have?

2) Calling them seems like a great idea. If I target a smaller and more local market (business to business) should I ask to speak with the owner? It seems it's a little rude to go straight ahead and call them trying to pitch a product? Perhaps I'm wrong here.

3) What type of stores do you have in mind in terms of where I should be getting my product into? I feel like the obvious is this so far:
Candy store
Local Quick-stops
Walk-in flower shop
Small market store

But where else?

Should I also try to get into bigger, more franchise related stores? Safeway, WinCo, Costco, etc? If so, I feel like the order of operations would be different here, maybe they have a corporate number I'm supposed to contact? Does anyone happen to know?
>>
>>1325333
1) Supply some information about your business and just the general sales pitch. Set up an in-person meeting, it'll only take 10-15 minutes, so most managers and owners would be willing to meet with you. Supply all contact information. You are trying to sell your business here, not your products.

2) You should not call to sell a product, you should call to set up a meeting.

>Hello, is this the (owner/manager) of (business)
>yes
>great! My name is (name) and I am the owner of (chocolate company's name). I was calling to possibly schedule a short meeting with you to discuss the possibility of stocking my products in your store. I will of course be bringing samples for you to try.
Two possibilities here:
>Sorry, but I'm not interested (or something similar)
This is the MOST important part:
>Well, I am disappointed to hear that, but thank you for your time. Feel free to call back if you change your mind. If you want some samples, or you have any questions, do not hesitate to call!
Take rejection positively.

2nd possibility:
>sounds great! (schedule time of meeting, give details)

In the meeting, be sure to dress nice. I don't know what type of fashion would best be suited for you, but a suit is not always the best option. A safe bet is always a collared shirt without a tie and rolled up sleeves, along with khakis. Be open and honest about your product, and come in with a good understanding of pricing.

3) Local restaurants sometimes agree to keep your product stocked next to the register, pizza places do it a lot. Craft stores would be a good option as well. I wouldn't bother with national or regional chains, but some are pretty local and are definitely worth it. There is a small chain of six or seven grocery stores in my immediate area, and the people who have gotten their local products stocked there are doing VERY well. A pork rind company has done amazingly since they made a deal with the grocery chain. In this case, (new post this one too long)
>>
>>1325383
get the contact information of whoever is in charge of product selection. You can probably just ask a manager or whoever and they will direct you to the right place.

Good luck! this is the most important aspect of a business! marketing and sales trump everything else when you are selling goods
>>
File: 1466383205315.png (394 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1466383205315.png
394 KB, 600x800
>>1325182

eliminate the competition.
>>
>>1325389
good tip
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.