[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is selling covered calls viable? Can it really produce a monthly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 1462927173997.png (24 KB, 758x518) Image search: [Google]
1462927173997.png
24 KB, 758x518
Is selling covered calls viable? Can it really produce a monthly income? What is the lowest risk strategy?

Should I sell 2 deviations above for the strike and just collect dividends as well since its a pretty low chance of the call being exercised? Should I just fucking dump my money into the S&P?

Any experience/tips would be appreciated.
>>
Deep out of the money is a fine strategy to use long term, or so I have read. Though I've never actually done it.
>>
File: 1441922087294.jpg (80 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1441922087294.jpg
80 KB, 960x960
>>1322368
holy fuck

that image i'm laughing hard
>>
I want to know this too but I think /biz/ might not be the please to ask this
>>
>>1322368
Yeah, it's perfectly valid, but I'd recommend a large amount of stock and limiting yourself to short term contracts.
>>
As long as it's not a hugely bullish asset probably fine. I think sp500 wouldn't be good to write covered calls on.
>>
>>1322498
I meant the S&P would be the alternative. >>1322482
thanks mate, I sell month long contracts.
>>
>>1322482
Thanks mate.
>>
Why just covered calls though? You want to have a few different strategies going on in a few different underlyings to keep things diversified. You want to weave a little web, up, down, left, right, in, out, no matter where the markets go, you catch some fish. And dump some money into the S&P, and some other markets too. Active, passive. Do it all.
>>
File: Bull Got me.jpg (17 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
Bull Got me.jpg
17 KB, 500x282
Congrats on leveling up to options.

https://www.tastytrade.com/tt/shows/market-measures/episodes/active-trading-vs-passive-investing-01-22-2015

1 std dev has historically been the best risk reward if memory serves.

But Frankly the Covered Put (Short Stock Short Put) is better given current environment IMO.

https://www.tastytrade.com/tt/shows/market-measures/episodes/beating-the-best-05-22-2015

The Covered Call Hedges about 1/3 of your stock position risk. if you compared this to the days when people recommended hedging with bonds b/c reverse correllation its about the same number. Thing is bonds and equities are currently highly correllated and a down move in one = a down move in the other.
With options your hedge is contractually enforced and insured.

How much Capital are you working with?
>>
>>1324373
about 11k USD, in a month ill have around 35k to work with.
>>
>>1324450
https://www.tastytrade.com/tt/shows/top-dogs-50k/episodes/small-accounts-the-core-portfolio-1-of-6-01-20-2016

The Core position is what you're trying to build.
Watch the whole top dogs 4 small accounts for strategy.

A short put is the exact same trade as a covered call, risk wise.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.