[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With the release of the pimp new 480 on the eve, is now a gr
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
With the release of the pimp new 480 on the eve, is now a great time to invest in a GPU mining rig, especially for eth which prefers AMD cards?

The 480 is seriously underpriced by AMD in order to get themselves back on the shelves right now, since raw numbers alone just arent enough. People are buying nvidia through sheer word of mouth, which means AMD had to undercut their profits on their new card to get back into households, since people will always follow their wallets.

Whats this mean? Basically the next gen AMD card is going to be exceptionally stronger than the previous gen, and yet 50~60 bucks CHEAPER. Which means the $ per hash rate is going to be epic.

So, what do you guys think?

Link to my theoretical build:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZjBK8K
>>
If the rumors are true, this will probably be the best mining GPU on the market by the buck, if you have the PSU/MOBO to support it.
>>
gpu mining is dead
>>
>>1319709
I thought ETH was most effective to be mined by GPUs, especially AMD, since it relies on OpenGL, which AMD GPUs are optimized for.

Based on the numbers, dollar for dollar a massive x16 AMD GPU rig would far outclass any other rig by price, for ETH.

Am I wrong?
>>
>>1319713
You're not wrong, the person you replied to hasn't a fucking clue what they are talking about.
>>
>>1319715
So based on the ultra low price of the 480 vs its performance (rumoured performance) they will probably be the best for rigging, right?

If I mine on Ubuntu for Eth, am I going to have to wait a bit after release of the 480 for some patches or some shit for the Eth programs to be compatible with the 480, or should everything just keep on trucking np?

If so, whats the rough wait time for the programs to become compatible with brand new GPU platforms (IE polaris)
>>
>>1319732
The 480 is meant to be faster than the 390x and that gets around 30-33mh/s in ETH. So hopefully it'll be around that, if not better.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. 10 more days!
>>
Im expecting about 40 mh/s from the 480.

Which means an array of 6 of them should easily break 200 mh/s

900 Watts at 200 mh/s is pretty solid.
>>
Hol up, why waste all that power mining ether? Isn' it gonna be worthless soon?
>>
>>1319732
>based on the ultra low price of the 480 vs its performance (rumoured performance) they will probably be the best for rigging, right?
no the demand will be greater than the supply it will get fucking expensive faster than you blink.
>>
>>1320436
Probably not. That's like saying bitcoin was going to become worthless after Mt.Gox. Sure, DAO is probably dead, but ethereum will live on without it. Not that this event hasn't harmed ethereum severely, but it might continue on to produce smart contracts that are good for something.
>>
I wanna do the same thing as OP.

I'm using a 7970 and need an upgrade anyways.

The thing is, will I be able to mine ether the same way he is if I use windows? It's a gaming PC.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.