[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm planing to start "developing a game" and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
So I'm planing to start "developing a game" and earn money with it on Patreon. The thing is: I have absolutely no idea how to program it but I'm very professional in doing 3d assets, buildings, graphics, etc. and even sound design. Now, lets assume I have a very good setting idea with beautiful 3D renderings and I upload them on a weekly base so that it looks like I'm working on it. Would this be legal or could I get any problems? I would write something like "once I earn enough money by your support, I'm going to hire a more professional programmer to write the code". However, this would probably not happen.

Is this allowed to do? If they donate money so I can go on working on it.. does it mean I kind of have to finish it in future?

Or is this whole donation/patreon/kickstarter thing a too dangerous field with possible risks?

Would appreciate your advices and maybe experiences. Thanks a lot.

>pic unrelated, but kind of what I imagine
>>
>>1319364
you can do a kickstarter for your game. like star citizen, which raised over 2 milltion dollars and is only in alpha testing.

but yeah im sure you'd have to actually finish them game (eventually)
>>
>>1319364
honestly i could use you
i have a 3d mobile game i want to make but i can't be assed to learn low poly techniques let alone how to work a 3d studio
>>
>>1319364
>However, this would probably not happen
So what you're saying is that you know you will never develop the game but you plan to lie to people on the internet to try to get them to send you money for doing absolutely nothing? I don't see anything that could possibly go wrong with this plan.

>>1319829
>mobile game
Please stop right there. The world already has enough of this cancerous shit.
>>
>>1319364
don't scam people, you stupid faggot. you're going to get your ass blown out.
>>
>>1319364
Why not just hire a programmer with the funds and make an actual game?
>>
>>1319364
I'm a gamedev who can program.
Maybe check out /agdg/ over at /vg/
(agdg stands for Amateur Game Dev General)
some of us have made it and experienced with turning things into money, like Hopoo of risk of rain fame or Vine who makes Cavern Kings
>>
>>1319881
actually, a few of my games are completely original, but a few are what a certain company should've done instead of what they actually did.

>making money is cancerous
>because being moral in this world prevents cancer

You'll never make money. You just have too much heart.
>>
>>1320035
I didn't say anything about money. What I did say is that mobile "games" are cancerous shit that need to be wiped from the face of the earth. If you want to make a game, make an actual fucking game and sell it on a real gaming platform.
>>
>>1319364
You'd first have to have an idea that you can sell, market it to people, hope it gets a little viral so that you gather enough support for your idea and so on. Chances you actually get money for your idea are really low.

Better idea: Check out freelance 2D/3D design websites, post your profile and some example works (if the picture is your rendering, it's awesome), offer to work freelance as a designer. Build a reputation and a financial cushion. Try to get in touch with an actual game dev studio.

Also, for your initial question: Most of the kickstarter-style sites should be scammable this way, but I suggest you don't do that.
>>
>>1321299
Geez, get the stick outta your ass, grandpa. A successful mobile game would be great funding for a big time project.
>>
>>1319364
Video games are an entertainment industry and every form of entertainment needs a sure audience to even begin to think about making money from it.

If you don't already have a strong following, who would put money into your patreon? What makes you think you'll be able to make enough money to live just with patreon? That's the first question you need to ask yourself.

Also, why hire a programmer instead of getting into the gamedev scene and try to work with people during game jams to see how well you actually work with a programmer (and how well a programmer works with you). If you can handle the basics of all other fields aside from technical, you can at least develop a simple proof of concept with a good programmer. But its a lot easier than simply saying "oh I'll just hire a programmer to do all the programming and I'll do everything else".

I know plenty more great 3d modelers who are looking for work and programmers than programmers looking for anything to do with a game.

Take that as you will, good luck
>>
>>1321620
Okay, well, that's, like, your opinion, man.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.