[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvZ SpET11ZY Hey /biz/, I j
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: AR-160619978[1].jpg (82 KB, 852x433) Image search: [Google]
AR-160619978[1].jpg
82 KB, 852x433
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvZSpET11ZY

Hey /biz/, I just finished watching this Last Week Tonight episode with Oliver talking about how bonds and index funds are the best long-term investments and to stay away from financial advisors and annuities. Now I'm completely new at this and this is my first time visiting this board, but how the hell do I get started on this shit?
>>
>>1316385
IT IS ABSOLUTELY THE CURRENT YEAR. John Oliver doesn't understand that post-2008 a monkey could have thrown darts at stocks and picked winners. This is because of larger macroeconomic issues involving the Fed, corporate bailouts, etc.

> and to stay away from financial advisors and annuities
No fucking shit. Unless you're above 105 IQ, stay away from these fags. Though, someone with this low of an IQ wouldn't have very much earnings anyways.
>>
>>1316393
Meant "unless you're below."* Whatever.
>>
The general idea is that if you do not want to get into investing yourself, and plan on holding for a long time, then Index funds are the best.
>>
>>1316385
Bonds are a fucking terrible investment. Your savings account at the bank probably has a better return rate.
>>
>>1316417
Unlikely. Banks profit big time off of savings accounts from people who aren't aware their returns are crap.
>>
>>1316405
I phrased this weird;
It is universally agreed index funds are the best of it's kind for not caring about the market and holding it for a long time.

The rest is 'controversial'

Real estate is also good, if you're in the right place, by the way,
>>
File: 1340165531386.jpg (4 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1340165531386.jpg
4 KB, 126x126
Vanguard.com

Open a roth IRA. $3000 is generally the fund minimum or you can go with one of their ETFs.

The most general index funds are either the Vanguard 500 index fund or the Total Market index fund. They're basically the same as far as you're concerned.

If you're under 40 or not already wealthy, you shouldn't be fucking with bonds at all.

If you really take an interest, there's a lot of reading to be done. Check out the bogleheads forum for a good starting point.
>>
>>1316442
Watched this episode last night- Oliver nearly said all of this verbatim
>>
>hey r/personalfinance i just saw this fucking thing let me remind u about how funny john oliver is haha!

>>1316442
>If you're under 40 or not already wealthy, you shouldn't be fucking with bonds at all.
this is dumb
it takes a measly $2500 to buy into any competetive bond index fund

its always good to hold at least some bonds, even if its less than 10% of your portfolio
this "all in on the s&p 500" is exclusively for the absolute youngest poorfags just starting their ira's (which i guess is the point of the rest of your post)
>>
>>1316476
Why should anyone be investing in a bond fund?

I'm not talking about idiot boomers and people who think retirement planning means "try to figure out how much money to save so you run out right when you die". I'm talking about people who understand that the purpose of investments is to provide passive income above their living expenses, forever.

In that context, why should you be investing in a bond fund?
>>
>>1316482
Because you are about to retire or you need a guaranteed income stream that won't fluctuate.
>>
>>1316476

>being mad about good advice reaching more people

And are you trying to sound like some l33t uber investor badass over a 10% position in bonds or not? Fucking /biz/. I disagree, If you're young (read: under 40) you have time to take the risks and reap rewards. If you want the security blanket buy a high dividend fund.

>>1316472
The documentary they show snippets of is good too.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/retirement-gamble/
>>
File: retired by 30.gif (543 KB, 278x227) Image search: [Google]
retired by 30.gif
543 KB, 278x227
>vanguard account up 9.54 this week
>>
>>1316497
I mean... yes, that is right. But that's extremely cautious, too cautious I think, for most people. An S&P500 index fund will throw off 2.5% dividends with essentially no fluctuations, plus the capital gains. All in all, the long term horizon of the S&P500/the complete market is 7% returns. I don't think bonds are anywhere near that, and if you're trying to retire while using 100% of your passive income, I think that's a risky (and stupid) move.
>>
>>1316503
no this is just basic boglehead philosophy friend

youre not going to significantly impact your returns by holding some bonds
>>
File: 1325555689989.jpg (46 KB, 658x498) Image search: [Google]
1325555689989.jpg
46 KB, 658x498
>>1316509
>dividends rolling in over the next couple weeks
>>
>>1316510
You need to look into bonds more, friend.

Assuming you're young, you can buy 25 or 30 year corporate bonds, many of which yield 5 to 10%. I think its a great idea for a college fund if you have kids. Go look at some solid offshore drillers like Transocean and Noble. I think even their 10 years are like 8% YTM.

>bonds doesnt mean just Treasuries
>>
File: but why.gif (4 MB, 581x327) Image search: [Google]
but why.gif
4 MB, 581x327
>>1316537
>corporate bonds
>>
>>1316567
Did you even read the post before you memed? I explained it pretty clearly
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.