[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice for a finance major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: a77157_5806414.jpg (2 MB, 3720x2083) Image search: [Google]
a77157_5806414.jpg
2 MB, 3720x2083
I am picking courses for my 3rd year and ultimately deciding my 4th as well. I am 100% majoring in finance but am having trouble picking electives. Considered a double major in economics or just easy business courses for inflated gpa.

Thoughts? Advice is much appreciated.
>>
>>1309361
Take accounting classes. The best way to learn how to read a financial statement is to learn how they are made.
>>
>>1309389
This is good advice. I majored in finance but I took one extra financial accounting class and one extra managerial accounting class than I needed to and I'm glad I did. Just getting that extra familiarity with financial statements and internal financial reporting metrics will give you more confidence when you're interviewing or starting your career. If you can take any kind of programming class with a focus on finance, do that. I suck at writing macros and I often end up having to find roundabout ways to do certain tasks in order to make up for my lack of programming skills.
>>
>>1309389
This is the correct answer, although inflated GPA may be better coming out of uni.
>>
op here, so I have taken a few accounting classes and know the basics but is it worth it going further? Can take a few courses specifically about financial statements.
>>
>>1309512
Taxation is another topic you should look into. Depending on how far you want to go in life, you might want to consider getting a double major in accounting. When I was in school, they showed us a video of how many CEO's of large companies were also CPA's. That was what turned me on to accounting.
>>
a CPA is something I have considered but the amount of time it takes plus the workload, it would make the double major very difficult in terms of maintaining a good gpa
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.