[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mining startup thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 300x168
Hey /biz, what should I mine now? I'm starting up mining for pocket money, but since I'm a complete newfag, I need all the advice I can get.
>>
Mine Ether with a couple R9 390X graphics cards. All you need is a barebones system, really... can easily pull 65-70 MHs / 12-15 Ether a week.
>>
Also, I'd recommend MSI. Their hardware is bulletproof.
>>
So is ether the way to go now?
>>
>>1308293

I mean, that's what I'm going for. Solid tech,low startup cost & low risk. I've only invested about $1k on gear and $32/mo for electricity.

I imagine it would be difficult to start a legit BTC mining operation nowadays without a lot of cash to invest in hardware. I heard you need to pump out some major GHs to break even, let alone turn a profit.

To me, the BTC mining train has already left the station; it's been out since 2009, so... yeah. But then again, I don't know your financial situation, so maybe you can afford to jump in head first.

Check out some mining calculators online.
>>
>>1308274

Oops, just re-read this. I meant 12-15 ETH a month, not a week. Sorry... tired anon here.
>>
>>1308274
Hey I have a half decent PC with an HD 7970

You're saying I could reliably mine ether every month with that if I bought some nice graphics cards?

I wouldn't need an asic?
>>
>>1308274
>65-70 MHs
>12-15 ether a week

you're an idiot. 70 MH/s will get you maybe 3-4 ether a week. Still profitable, but certainly not mega-profitable like you're talking.
>>
>>1309687
this is the problem with investing into any coin mining.
before you get roi your hashpower is marginalized.
>>
>>1309648
sure. You'd get 30 MH/s (on an optimized rig, so probably closer to 25 MH/s on a standard windows rig), which would eventually net you ~3-4 ether per month. If you spend $200 on a couple extra cards, you could get yourself up to 90 MH/s for ~$450, and be making almost 25 ether a month, if you rig it properly.
>>
>>1309700
that's kind of the point.

Either you take the risk on the ICO, or you take the risk on the ROI once the network is live. That being said, if you buy an optimized rig, you can probably get one together for $1200, and be making ~$500/mo at current eth prices. ROI isn't crazy, and the proof-of-stake changeover doesn't appear to be coming too quickly.
>>
>>1309687

Yep, I was an idiot for a short time, but corrected myself and gave him the right info. Try scrolling up, faggot.

If only you would've read the whole thread before jumping the gun. Typical.
>>
>>1309716
you forget the most relevant point tho.
when something looks lucrative for a moment and the entry for a market is real low cost not prohibiting at all, then more will enter than what the market can support in mining terms usually a huge raise in hashrate comes and mining that looked profitable a month ago suddenly isn't because all the retards suddenly had the same brilliant idea.
>>
>>1310041

Key words are "for the moment." Most new miners will drop off after seeing any stagnation and the occasional dips.

They're not in it for the long haul. Hashrates should normalize in time.
>>
>>1310041
Well, total market hash rate is growing consistently, true, but that doesn't mean that you can't hit ROI with a cost-effective rig.

If you're serious about it, 1) look into EthOS to maximize your rig's efficiency, and 2) look for ROI on your cards, not just what's cheapest.

I started mining with a $1200 rig about a month ago, and am about 1/3 of the way to ROI; I have made more than my fair share of mistakes over the past couple months, and have only been up ~60% of the time (due to a day job and whatnot); that being said, I'm doing this mostly as a hobby. I don't intend to make gobs of money off of it.
>>
>>1310171

Thanks for the info. I'll check out ethOS, but I'm currently a Windows fag. I have a little experience with Linux distros in general, but not much. Might need to brush up on that.

Also, if anyone here uses Dwarfpool, I have a question. What determines the "Calculated Hashrate" that's shown? Sent Hashrate is obvious, but I'm guessing the calculated one is based on the amount of solutions you find in 60 minutes?
>>
>>1309648

Also, ETH mining is strictly CPU/GPU. It will never use ASICs due to the way Buterin wrote the code.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.