[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How Stupid Would It Be To Buy An RV Financially?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: RVsrgb_zpsf50116c9.jpg (902 KB, 921x600) Image search: [Google]
RVsrgb_zpsf50116c9.jpg
902 KB, 921x600
Am I stupid for ever considering this shit?

>Have yet to purchase a house
>Instead, girlfriend suggests buying an RV and traveling.
>Girlfriend has a damn good job.
>I work from home. I don't make much.
>If she quits, she'll lose income + insurance.
>RV costs 45k+/- before taxes and licensing.
>Truck to tow an RV will cost 50k+ before taxes and licensing.

I love traveling, and the whole idea, but idk if it could be done with our finances. She'd have to find something that she could do to bring in some income, and idk wtf she could do, either. She's always worked 9-5 jobs.

Are there any pros/cons of owning an RV that I'm not seeing? Like, I know there has to be some hidden ass costs in there. What would you guys and gals do if you were in this situation? I mean, we do love traveling, but we're looking at like 100k to make this shit happen. Wouldn't it be better to just sink that in a house?
>>
>>1308142
Your girlfriend seems like a lazy shit who just wants an excuse to stop working and leech off of you.
>>
>>1308147
I mean, she could still work, but I'm assuming we'd both want her to quit eventually, or else we'd never get to truly use the thing, which would damn sure make it a terrible investment.
>>
>>1308148
Why is she the one quitting and not you?
>>
>>1308142

>buying 100k worth of shit targeted towards rich boomers with endless free time
>don't make much money

Come on man, think about this for a minute. Not to mention

>RVs horrible depreciation rate
>Almost always made cheaply and built not to last so you'll want to upgrade sooner
>Monthly hook up fees at established campground will cost as much as rent for an apartment
>listening to anything your girlfriend says about your money
>>
Why do you need to spend such a large amount of money on one?
>>
>>1308150
Because I can work while traveling and she can't. She has to clock in.

>>1308173

I can't argue with anything you said there, man. I guess it's just nice in theory to be able to travel and sort of bring your home along with you.

>>1308174

Well, the truck to pull an RV is definitely going to be the biggest expense. There's really no budging on that one, unfortunately. If anything, the 50k+ price tag is possibly under estimating.

As for the RV, you can get smaller ones, but you get what you pay for, you know? I mean, why get a 50k truck to pull a 10k RV?
>>
Why not buy one of them shitty 10k rv's that have are built of a diesel truck frame anyways?

Better yet why not just buy a cheap diesel school bus/mini bus and retrofit with the shit you want and need.

Better yet why don't you just nix this shitty plan you came up with.
- no money
- no truck
- gf has to quit job
>>
File: 1458313384971.gif (2 MB, 400x385) Image search: [Google]
1458313384971.gif
2 MB, 400x385
>doing what a girl suggests
>>
>>1308200
>the 50k+ price tag is possibly under estimating.
Only if you buy a new truck. If you buy used, because used cars should still be good, it's going to be a lot less.

Or, y'know, buy a car and rent hotel rooms. Don't buy a shitty fibreglass box you'll have to clean and maintain and empty the toilets yourself.
>>
You guys are really putting this whole thing into perspective for me. It sounds like a fun dream and all, but just doesn't sound practical.
>>
>>1308142
Don't you want to have kids one day?

I just feel you get tired of it in 5 years, and by then you're left with a truck, which probably isn't the best vehicle for daily driving, and a 20k RV just sitting around.

On the other hand, if you invest those 100k and manage to get 5% gains (interest, dividends, et cetera), in 5 years you'll have 127k.
>>
Just travel without the RV? airbnb in europe can be cheap...
>>
Nope. I don't plan on having kids.
>>
>>1308142
Just spend like 20k on a used one and go on a couple of long vacations. No need to uproot your whole life here...
>>
>>1308142
>Truck to tow an RV will cost 50k+

You could get a driver RV, forget what they are called, my dad had one when we were kids, it was /comfy/, I imagine it would be even nicer with the technology available and internet to shitpost on 4chan.
>>
>>1308142

No idea about your question, but I will tell you this.

One time I talked to an old married couple that was in their 80's, and they told me that at one point they got a camper and went to see all 50 states and it was one of the single greatest experiences of their lives.

Maybe just save up, split from work like 8 weeks, and rent an RV?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.