[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things to do in university
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1417429544337.jpg (37 KB, 720x602) Image search: [Google]
1417429544337.jpg
37 KB, 720x602
I am studying a bachelor of computer science. I want to know what I should do while I am still in university so that I can increase my employability once I graduate.

Should I do side projects? Get involved student groups (like what)? Should I pursue certificates in Linux administration? Learn languages on the side? Do free-lancing work? Pick up a second language (other than English)?

Also what should I pursue a post-graduate degree in? Finance (Quantitative), Software Engineering, etc.
>>
Suck dicks.
>>
I'm probably not the best to ask but I'm going to be a senior in CS this fall. I'm mostly average but I find math/cs topics that interest me on the side and pursue the shit out of them. Haven't had the best internship experience but I seem well above most kids who wander around in CS and have no clue. Just always be learning anon. You have no reason not to.
>>
In essence its somewhat similar to high school. Since apparently everyone is getting a degree you want to differentiate yourself with clubs and projects/internship.

Experience is another factor, so a resume filled with projects/internships and leadership skills should raise eyes.

And also networking. Going to events (sponsored by companies like Google or Intel or what not since you are a cs.

You seem to have the right idea, The only way you will find out the 'which' is by trying stuff out and honing your skills.
>>
>>1302217
You need marks, experience and extra curriculars. Don't have a mind set of "low marks, better compensate with high ECs" or something to that extent. You'll need to be solid in the lot to have a good chance at working at a Tier 1. I personally did martial arts for some years and got super involved in it.

Forget about post-grad. I don't know about clapistan but where I live, post grad degrees are people who are either reskilling, getting into academia or didn't get a graduate job when they left uni. If your company wants to, they'll pay for your masters anyway
>>
>>1302707
This.

Especially business related grads, the bank or whatever will pay you once you are employed by them.

>>1302217
Post grad is silly unless you want to do research stuff and what not/have a passion for it whatever.

Having a masters in finance with a quant degree like CS is a good combo though, I would have recommended doing it as a double bachelors but it makes sense if you want to end up working in quant finance/buy side finance.

I'd go with learn programminglanguages on the side, free lancing work to build a portfolio. A Solid GPA 3.5+ will get you in tier 1 stuff, 3.0+ will get you tier 2 stuff (im implying you have some solid EC and other marketable skills).
>>
>>1302217
1. Side projects.
2. General learning outside of class.
3. Undergrad research.
4. Get involved with your local ACM student chapter.
5. Participate in ACM ICPC, ideally several years in a row.
6. Get really acquainted with your professors. They have the power to open all kinds of doors for you.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.