[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oh shit, Art...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1411584255796-1.gif (2 MB, 480x606) Image search: [Google]
1411584255796-1.gif
2 MB, 480x606
Has anyone here got in to, even tangentially, the animation or film industry?

>Did accounting
>Been in the real world three years now
>apathy to the point of contempt for my "work" at 50k py
>Just wanted to be an animator growing up but "knew" I had to "get a real job..."
>Living costs money
>A new career has no guarantee of being able to provide a living here in this country
>Trapped, the way is shut, can't get out

I don'y know how much longer I can do this job.
I just want to bring life to pictures so people can enjoy them ;_;
>>
>>1302064
>accounting

There's your problem. It's like you're asking me to fuck your wife.
>>
>>1302089
>It's like you're asking me to fuck your wife.
T-thanks senpai
>not like i'll ever get one if I do animation so w/e
>>
I used to be like you OP except I thought about pursuing graphic design and working in the commercial design industry. but then I decided against pursuing "art" and chose a safe MIS major to pursue after 2 years of comm college.

My reasoning being that there is lacks dignity to selling your labor as a artist. >>1302089 seems to think accounting is like being a cuck but artists regularly get fucked over and can't do anything to uplift themselves from their situation.

>studios and firms demand you to have gotten a bachelor's in a design major. you're forced to pony up 80k or more just to not have your resume thrown out.
>if you want to access the more elite sought after places of employment like NY graphic design firms or animation studios then you need to trap yourself in debt slavery to go to a school like SVA or CalArts.
>Paying off debt is hard when in competition with everyone over the globe who has access to the internet. you may have been best in your class, but take a look on Behance and note that talent comes from all countries.
>constantly needing art supplies whether software, paints, 3d media stuff is another ass fucking cause that shit is expensive and i've seen my friends be forced to chose art supplies to finish their homework over food.
>everyone is trying to undercut your labor and use you only temporarily. nobody else in the corporate world respects artists and designers
>most of your classmates are not serious about pursuing their craft as a life long thing. most will be korean girls who get their degree, do one internship and then get married off and become housewives.

I actually became interested in business and economics because I didn't want to get fucked in the job market. knowledge is power. and the 23 year olds who stay naive and optimistic in the world will be in for a surprise when they realize it's a buyer's market for artistic labor and society doesn't respect or dignify their labor.
>>
>>1302064
>Wants to be artist/creative
>Cucked into dependency on medicore middle class, consumerist lifestyle

With this attitude you were never destined to make it in a creative field. Those people either have true vision that they will sacrifice for, or they are so insecure/damaged that they know a middle of the road lifestyle will never suit them.

If you're neither of these then you will never compete with their relentless drive.
>>
>>1302197
I need food to eat and a room to sleep/store/work in senpai
>>
Not me but my sis works sort of in t sector she does gamedesign and before she did some stuff sometimes that was animation related as in ads or storyboards, but nothing on the level of weeb shit or really cool stuff, more like the usual europe stuff. And while she loves that kinda stuff, I doubt her dream was working for some stupid firm producing freemium games or other stuff that restricts her creativity, but that's where the big money is. It's really hard to be succesful depending on where you live, most of that sector is heading towards stupid, but high revenue bringing crap. But if you want to give it a try, either do it in your freetime or save money until you can take some time of and use it then, or go the NEET route. But even then it's unlikely you will suceed and even if you might regret it afterwards, even if you love it the might probably be shit. Some japanese animators get like 3$ per hours, because they get paid by frames and some can take quite long.
>>
>>1302506
>But even then it's unlikely you will succeed and even if you might regret it afterwards, even if you love it the might probably be shit.
Okay :(
>>
>>1302064
I'm a full-time professional musician and my advice is this: do the work now. Don't make a career change, just make time to draw now.

There will never be a good time, but if it's something you need to do then do it. Draw before work, draw on break, draw after work. Sneak time away to work towards it.

If you're serious about wanting to pursue it professionally, then start sharing your work. Put it out there. Animations on YouTube, stills on a website, offer prints on Etsy, or whatever. But I would not recommend immediately dropping your day job and demanding your creative work also house and feed you - unless you get an animation or graphic design job offer. Jumping into freelance artist before you have a platform would be rough.

What are you drawing now?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.