[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a BA (Japanese/Philosophy) can speak japanese, learning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 2076124[1].jpg (58 KB, 293x201) Image search: [Google]
2076124[1].jpg
58 KB, 293x201
I have a BA (Japanese/Philosophy) can speak japanese, learning Chinese and I'm doing a double degree business mgt/CE NE Engineering.

I want to do engineering/IT consulting and be based in Asia. What are some good companies to work for? Want western work hours not Japanese-tier work hours.
>>
You're in a region with the most insane work ethic, don't ever imply that you don't want to work the same hours.

I'd suggest you look into the kuala lumpur - singapore high speed rail; you need to refine your engineering background in a specific skillset to be professionally viable. Don't be too picky, go with your gut. You could also get into consulting, buddy up/best friend a purchasing manager and accountant.
>>
>>1302001
let's assume I could get into McKinsey would their asia division have the same work hours as them.
Also, what are some good international IT consulting firms?
>>
>>1301917
>>1302403

Hello, anon based in Asia here. Where are you from, and how good is your Chinese? I daresay it'd open up more opportunities than Japanese.

If you like McKinsey and/or consulting in general, you should be looking at the more internationally-connected cities (e.g. Singapore, Hong Kong). Although Asia is becoming more receptive to the consulting culture, I'd say that it'll still take a lot of time for most of the countries to open up to the idea.

>>1302001
You're right regarding the work ethic,but it's not so bad in Singapore/Malaysia. Obviously the hours are still lengthy compared to Japan, but SEA in general offers better hours

Anyway, it's probably better if he goes into an industry that's easier. As you mentioned, it's too specialized - what if he gets bored and wants to go home?
>>
>>1303078
Australia and I'm doing a diploma in Chinese now but I know how long it takes to get really good at a language.

What kind of work do you do? What's it like to work in asia? Tell me a little of your experience.

What are good IT/Engineering (not really into management) firms that are international? I think that's my best hope for reasonable work hours.
>>
>>1304843
It's good to know you appreciate the difficulty of learning a language - Chinese is pretty hard to learn if you don't already know it.

I'm in banking bruv,what do you want to know? "What's it like to work in asia" is a little bit too general for me to answer. Where in Asia?

'Reasonable work hours' is really subjective tho, depending on the Asian country in question. We have the crazy ones (Japan, Singapore) and the most relaxed ones (Malaysia, and the other shitholes). Where you from, QLD?

Because you weren't too specific, I'll assume the following:

>"good IT/Engineering" firms = short working hours
And that engineering in "IT/Engineering" refers to Software Engineering, not other kinds.
>"international firms" = MNCs, not just MNCs that are headquartered in NA

This is only true for the country where I live, but most of the tech giants are here using it as a the regional headquarters for their Asia Pacific operations. (Apple, LinkedIn, various other Silicon V companies etc. are here too). I don't think this helps you very much though - there are heaps in Asia and the question is very, very difficult to answer without bias.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.