[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 26 too old to start studying computer science?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
Is 26 too old to start studying computer science?
>>
>>1296122
Yes, learning a programming language is like learning a foreign language. If you don't start when you are a baby, you will never truly be fluent.
>>
Install gentoo.
>>
You are never too old to try new things.
>>
>>1296157
This isn't always true.

We are on /biz/, if you're pushing 30 and learning finance for example with the intention of getting a job you're wasting your time.
The decently paid positions won't hire anyone over 25 unless you have experience.
>>
>>1296122
i know plenty of people over 26 in my cs department working on their degree. but they all had some experience when they were younger.
>>
>>1296143
Don't be a dickhead.

>>1296122
You'll be fine.

I had never even seen code when i first started at the age of 19. By the end of my degree, i shat all over people who had been coding from a young age.

I now run a successful software startup.

The main thing is whether or not you're good at problem solving. If you're not, you'll likely struggle.
>>
File: 4255038690_8f0bd9d366.jpg (33 KB, 363x365) Image search: [Google]
4255038690_8f0bd9d366.jpg
33 KB, 363x365
>>1296122
you can learn cs when you 50. question is what will you be capable of doing using that knowledge.
>>
I'm 28 and mentally retarded and pretty much in the top of my class

go for it anon, if you think you'll enjoy it
>>
cs is not hard, do it op
its the current year, everythings can be learn on internet
>>
>>1296245
this

Same boat but 18, CE.
>>
>>1296122
If your goal in life is to became a super special snowflake programmer and work for Google/Apple/big name Bay area employer while spending a prohibitive amount of your monthly net income on housing and living expenses, then maybe yes.

Otherwise no. I had a guy in my core tech classes who was a vet, 31ish, married and was doing very well academically.
>>
>>1296182

Not always true.
>>
>>1296122
No, but keep in mind that your body has reached its half-life and your mind, memory, and intelligence will continue to deteriorate which will leave you overshadowed by younger, fitter, smarter coders who have been going at it since childhood.

But by all means, go ahead.
>>
>>1296122

Where do you start learning computer science and coding? (Outside of university and such.) Any recommendations?
>>
>>1296511
Holy shit do you live in Texas?
>>
>>1296122
It's too late to become a professional athlete, but computer science? a fucking 80 year old could do that if they wanted.
There's no age limit.
>>
>>1296599
No? You ever met a graduate pushing 30 with no experience who got a 100k+ job in finance?
>>
>>1297419
There are websites and there are books, both accessible online (well duh).
The problem is that there is a shitload of both already, so it's easy to come across something that is absolute garbage.
For example I've heard (never used it myself) that codeacademy babies you too hard throughout, so it gets annoying (I myself have found books that baby you too much and it does get annoying), and it's not hard to find the 'learning X the hard way' books which also have a bad reputation among hackers (don't know why though). I am suspicious of sites like 'Programming Motherfucker' which seem to rely on a cute title to lure users, rather than rely on merit.
Now, there is another hard part about starting to learn programming: you need to pick a language. And for that you need to know what you're aiming for. There is a fucking gigantic set of different subjects you can go in computing, for example: AI, gamedev, webdev (front end/back end), system programming, system administration, network administration, embedded systems, mobile, data mining, applications programming, and a long list of et ceteras.
So this is the first thing you need to know. If you're looking for a job, there are areas which have insanely high demand, but which you might end up hating, and there are those which are actually niche so, while it's hard to find a position, it may pay well. And there are others which have high demand yet remain somewhat unsuspected.
At the end you should know what it is that you want to do the most, based not only on shekel but also in what you might enjoy, because there are far too many codemonkeys in line for an enterprise-tier job writing shitty code.
Then my suggestion is that you pick a book, a good book. Something from No Starch Press or O'Reilly (or maybe Apress, I personally don't like it but that's just me). I don't want to emphasize how much I like no starch because I'll be called a shill, but they are really good for beginners. Good luck.
>>
>>1298050
I should add:
Computer Science is merely the theoretical aspect of computing, and it is active and provides you some important tools, but it is focused on the theoretical aspect.
And programming is not hard. If you're focused and disciplined, there is nothing spooky about it. But it does take that: practice and discipline
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.