[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would a major in electrical engineering be good for someone thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: VbI8NzK (copy).jpg (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
VbI8NzK (copy).jpg
2 MB, 1920x1200
Would a major in electrical engineering be good for someone thinking about doing a tech start up?

I'd really like to design FOSS hardware
>>
>>1290411
No, do comp eng or math/finance
>>
>>1290411
The majority of EE action happens in SE Asia these days. I agree with the other poster about CS/Math being more suitable for our "post manufacturing" economy (assuming you live in the West).
>>
>>1290411
If you want to start a software tech startup (like in sillicon valley) I would go with compsci, if you like hardware (sensors, electrical circuits, embedded systems) with a bit of programming, go for EE (like myself, well mechatronics actually).
It doesn't really matter what you study, you can all begin a business. The succes rate of businesses isn't decided by what you study, imo your own abillity and level of skills are more important.
>>
>>1290590
>If you want to start a software tech startup (like in sillicon valley) I would go with compsci
>compsci
comp sci is shit, do software engineering, you learn how to program ACTUAL programs.
>>
>>1290590
Well the thing is, even with the proper software, a lot of the hardware these days is literally incapable of closing those backdoors. Thats what I'm interested in. I'd like to produce and sell open source HARDWARE.

That being said, I know nothing of comp eng or EE, but do know CS wouldn't contain everything I'd need to know.
>>
>>1290605
This
>>
>>1291403
Hardware companies rarely get off the ground, only massive companies can compete.

What idea can you come up with that will beat all the fags at google, ibm etc that gradauted top of MIT as well as all the massive funding.

If you want to do start up stuff, software side is much MUCH more likely to be able to succeed. But, if you really want to learn about hardware, EE or CE are your best bet.

I'm in CE, I have like 3 programming classes and the rest are electrical engineering/hardware stuff.
>>
>>1292319
I mean I'm not expecting to b th next Intel, but do you predict the income would b at least livable if I advertised well? (i.e spammed the chans?)
>>
>>1293114
Bump
>>
>>1291403

Wtf open source hardware are you talking about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_hardware
>>
>>1293114
well what can you design that will out compete the capital and the manpower of Intel, of Google of IBM?

Then, how are you going to produce it?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.