[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Redpill me on Economics degrees
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1457911856315.png (371 KB, 633x656) Image search: [Google]
1457911856315.png
371 KB, 633x656
Redpill me on Economics degrees
>>
I did applied economics and I learned nothing about economics.
>>
It teachs you how money works.
>>
Depends on your focus. Economics overall is defined as "managing unlimited wants in a world with limited resources" and from there you get the macro/micro distinction and how modern humans manage their time/capital.

Going to school for econ taught me that the degree itself is intrinsically worthless. It is a signal that may or may not tell an employer to hire you over someone who doesn't have a degree. If that other person has a portfolio, you can eat your degree and fuck off.

Oh yeah, don't go into debt for an econ degree. I didn't and I'm glad because I would have to have been an idiot otherwise. If you can't afford school, go to lectures (don't enroll, just sit-in) and learn the shit without the credential.

It is about managing time... Econ... Managing precious time...
>>
>>1286026
An excellent degree if you want to learn how the world works, but it's terrible to get a job unless you get a Phd or an MBA.
>>
>>1286051
>terrible to get a job

I always read this here but econ is always in top 10 median salaries. Also i live in New York so i guess it would be more valued here?
>>
The way they teach micro and macro economics is fucking stupid.

I believe that economics can be tough in the english language. It does not require an excessive onslaught of obscure graphs and formulas. At the end of the day, to fully understand economics you probably even need to understand human behavior and even biological factors behind those behaviors.

The way they teach it is kind of to make it seem more quantitative like a hard science like physics. I am honestly getting more out of my accounting classes than economics (accounting major here). If you want to learn about economics go read a book from someone like Hayek or whatever. It's as much of a science as sociology is. Fucking useless

Economists only get jobs really through the government and they are only hired if they want to use government powers. A real economist, if given the power to control the economy, would simply just leave it alone and let things happen and there would be no use for him in the first place.
>>
>>1286098
T. Austrian

Mises was batshit crazy. At least Hayek had good political philosophy even if he was wrong a lot of the time with economics.
>>
>>1286026
Become a doctor or engineer keep economics as a hobby
>>
>>1286051
I have an Econ degree and am employed. I graduated last year, salary is $55k/yr. I know it's not that six figure salary everyone wants but it's pretty good for right out of college with no debt.

I will say that if you want a job that involves actual economics, get a masters or Phd. But for getting your standard entry level analyst type job Econ is good. Most of my Econ major friends also got jobs.

Econ is a fun degree imo, and it holds its own in the job market.
>>
>>1286098
>A real economist, if given the power to control the economy, would simply just leave it alone and let things happen and there would be no use for him in the first place
what
>>
>>1286026

You need an economics degree or something similar to operate a company in a regulated sector in some countries.

I wish I studied econ instead of STEM because right now I have to do a bunch of courses and certifications.
>>
>>1286249
What country?
>>
>>1286254
Austria
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.