[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello all. I'm enrolled in a chemical engineering program
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160510_162319735.jpg (4 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160510_162319735.jpg
4 MB, 2432x4320
Hello all.

I'm enrolled in a chemical engineering program at a university with 99% job placement. The average pay of those who graduate from this school in my field is $73,000 a year. The school is expensive, but I have a full ride scholarship.

Problem is, I fucking hate it. I hate these classes, these bitch ass nerd students. I hate grinding 60 hours a week for a degree in a field I don't give a rat's ass about.

What I enjoy is building things. Not designing them. But I'm not sure if dropping out and going to trade school is worth it, or if I should just bite the bullet and finish school.

Thoughts?
>>
>>1285984
How far in are you?

Is ChemE really that much more work, I'm in CompE and I do about 30 (late 2nd year though, so it will pick up) and i above a 3.75
>>
Get the degree, if you don't have a degree NOBODY will take you seriously
>>
>>1285989
he might burn out though, if he is final year I suggest he stays, if he is in 1st or 2nd i reckon he should drop out.

Also OP, if you get a chemical engineering degree other fields will hire you (mainly finance) because of the difficulty, prestige etc of being an engineer let alone being a chemical engineer
>>
>>1285987

My school is rigorous, it's why job placement is high.

>>1285991
>>1285989

Finished up second year a few days ago. The issue is, I don't see myself being happy in finance either. I don't like white collar work, I greatly prefer working with my hands. Actually fucking making something. And I like the idea of eventually being able to start my own business, instead of just working for DOW or Marathon or Lilly until I retire.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (44 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
44 KB, 480x360
>>1285997
Maybe look into becoming an instrument technician, they don't "build things" but they do work with their hands fixing shit all day at refineries and plants
>>
>>1285997
I am just getting in to electronics stuff part of my CompE, but, why not transfer your ChemE to electronics, electrical or CompE. Hands on circuits and hardware stuff?

I have no idea if jobs are design based or more practical. There would be more hands on than chemical though.

Drop out and go to trade school? Become a carpenter, no shame in it, and also all the retard kids that think that they HAVE to go to college despite going to bad colleges and majoring in gender studies or african history, means that there are alot less tradies, so you will get more money relative to previous decades tradies.

If you are going to kill yourself, quit now, do some trade shit. What's your GPA?
>>
>>1286001
Look in to this OP, engineers do this stuff
>>
>>1286004

GPA is 2.7. Which is below average. What it really comes down to is my homework average, which is around a C, while my test average is a low A. Its not so much that I don't understand the material, as that I dislike it.

CompE wouldn't be much different. I'd just trade studying fluids and thermo to studying programming languages and circuit theory.

>>1286006
Already looked into the technician route, its a relatively dead end.
>>
>>1286009
Op, I really don't know what advice we could give you. As much as I hate this meme, do what will make you happier, granted you wont be poor.

It's just going to get harder and more in depth from here, 60 hours a week is alot for something you don't even have a mild interest in and you have no desire to work in that field (aside from the money I assume).

Go to trade school. You will make decent money, you can always return to uni. Idk how it works where you live, could you defer for a year, go to trade school in that year and just test it out? If so, do that?
>>
>>1286009
Hey OP. Materials engineer here.

Take a close look at materials eng, there is a lot of good hands on work that you can do if you're interested. Also I know that you're in your second year but a lot of the curriculum and classes are shared, you could easily go into polymer specialization with OrgChem. Along the same thread, I really enjoy building shit. I'm working in the lab making different alloys and testing while building this giant robot on the side.

Best advice is do what makes you happy, but nobody knows what will make them happy so do something with what you've got. The buttload of money on the side can't hurt either.
>>
>>1286082
>trade school

i don't know if it's a meme, but I keep hearing about people who learned a trade, worked for a couple years making good money, because trades are actually in demand and starting their own businesses. This applies to electricians and plumbers though, so I'm not sure about OP.
>>
>>1285984

Very few people feel happy doing difficult things without drug use. It is not surprising to anyone that you don't enjoy chemical engineering. However, if you "git gud" at something difficult, then you will start to "rek scrubs", which everyone enjoys. Right now those nerds are enjoying rekking you. You need to commit to gitting gud at something hard or accept your place as a permascrub at everything.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.