[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
University student, have 10k, going to make first investment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: neferpitou.png (769 KB, 1071x1034) Image search: [Google]
neferpitou.png
769 KB, 1071x1034
Im a 2nd year university student doing CS, finance has been one of my interests and hobbies, I have been saving this 10k for a long time and plan to make my first investment this december, but before that I plan to read a few books (security analysis, one up on wallstreet)

Is this a good idea? how do I prepare and actually learn to put a price on stocks (no bs pls) or do I just ride the psychological train of stocks (speculating my way to 2x+ profits)
>>
Forgot to mention, as of now my finance knowledge is beginner tier, I get the jist of everything and have a good overview of whats happening / limitations towards certain ideas.

How do I know if im ready to make my first 10k investment
>>
jesus man save it

dont even worry about investing til you got 150k from that meme CS job you're gonna get in 3 years writing java spring code for 45k a year
>>
File: bebi.jpg (34 KB, 598x604) Image search: [Google]
bebi.jpg
34 KB, 598x604
>>1282502
I also forgot to mention that I don't have debt of any sort plus backup emergency money that is in my savings (just earning a flat 2% from bank interest per year) so I need not worry about emergencies... That is why I have partitioned "my" part of the money which I can freely use and learn/make investments with (the 10k I have mentioned).

>meme CS job you're gonna get in 3 years writing java spring code for 45k a year

Surely this is just a meme in itself?
>>
>>1282495
Put 5.5K into Roth IRA & 4.5K on Robinhood account.

Avoid pennystocks and start building wealth (or losing it and learning from mistakes).
>>
>>1282618
Im not from the US (oceania region)
>>
bamp
>>
>>1282495
Make a business son.
>>
>>1284179
With 10k? is that even possible
>>
>>1282495
No, don't. Use 2k to dick around and put the other in a market wide index fund or a fund that buys safe dividend companies
>>
>>1282495
Fuck you op i had trips in your last thread and you didnt deliver
>>
>>1284239
what? I think you have the wrong person, first time I made a thread in months
>>
>>1284241
I know its you now fork over my goddam loan
>>
>>1282495

Why don't you just try to intern at a reputable prop firm or a hedge fund and have this taught to you by experts instead of a bunch of penny stock trading mongoloids
>>
>>1284255
I dont know if I have the expertise to even get an internship... I am only a 2nd year student(CS) in University so they will probably laugh at me applying or something, why would they even want to hire kids in school?
>>
sigh...I think like 90% of this board are just teens and neets who have absolutely no idea about how to invest.

>>1282495
Here's a step by step approach:
1. Figure out how much time you want to devote to learning about investing. We have three (crude) subdivisions:
a. Full-time (aka a career) - This is 9-5, I-wanna-be-a-full-time-trader-tier. I'm guessing this isn't you. But it might be in a few years if you find you really enjoy trading.
b. Part-time (aka a hobby/active interest) - This is if you want to spend most or all of your free time investing or researching investments
c. No-time - This is if you have no time at all for thinking about investing but you don't want your money to accrue abysmal (but safe) 3% in CD's annually.

Once you've figured out the answer to 1:
2. What will you invest in? Here I'd say there are 4 options:
a. Paper/Securities (i.e Forex, Stocks, Options etc.) - All around good option and works for pretty much any time scale. Easy to enter, easy to exit.
b. Businesses (ones that you start, own and manage) - Probably more toward 1a. Lots of work, but the payoff can be retirement-tier. Don't go into it unless you love what you're doing more than your own life.
c. Real Estate - Somewhat tough for beginners, yet probably the most secure and easiest way to generate cashflow if you commit some time and energy to learning its inns and outs. Definitely 1a or 1b.
d. Commodities (gold, futures etc.) - Not much different from option 2a.

I recommend reading some articles or just browsing investopedia to pick up the basics for each of these different investments. With 10k you can actually do any one of these (yes, even real estate) so take your time and decide which one suits your life and needs.

3. Put in the time and do the research. Read books, watch lectures, join forums (e.g biggerpockets, trade2win etc.), do virtual trading, etc. etc. For real estate "The Unofficial Guide to Real Estate" is basically god-tier for beginners.

1/2
>>
2/2

For paper trading, pick up "Stock trading to financial freedom" by Tharp. That's really the only book you'll need, because it will teach you to come up with your own trading system which suits you. I also recommend Greenblatt's "little book" and O'brien's "How to make money in Stocks". Take everything as a lie and prove it true with backtesting and rigorous analysis. There is a lot of bullshit and even more confirmation bias in this field and its important to be aware of it. Tharp actually shows you how entry strategies are basically useless in determining the profitability of a trading strategy, but that money management (what he calls "position sizing") and risk management are what actually counts. This, I think, is true for all investments.

4. Get out there and put your money on the line, and make sure your money has a plan and an clear objective behind it.

OR

Put your money into an IRA as someone above suggested and invest in an index fund (10k will get you into Vanguard). 8% average returns ain't bad.
>>
>>1284273
>>1284284
Thank you for the info, I will definitely take a look at your recommendations
>>
>>1282495
what anime is she from
>>
>>1284523
Hunter x Hunter, Neferpitou my alien-fu
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.