[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's up guys. Am I a financial leech on my mom? Serious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: NU Pepe.jpg (39 KB, 327x366) Image search: [Google]
NU Pepe.jpg
39 KB, 327x366
What's up guys.

Am I a financial leech on my mom? Serious question. Is this situation unreasonable for someone my age?

>18
>live with mother
>father died a year and a half ago, 800k life insurance
>graduated HS as valedictorian, going to Northwestern next year
>mom wants to pay me 17,000/year for tuition etc, says she can afford it
>she easily can with life insurance money
>I will put in ~8,000/year (take out loans jr/sr years)
>she wants to pay for my car insurance, medical bills, and trips back home
>I pay for clothes, books, school supplies, anything else

I feel bad bros. I will be taking roughly 20-22,000 per year from my mom. She doesn't even work right now this is all money from my dad's life insurance.

I will get my first job in about a month.

But really am I being a leech? On one hand I feel like I've worked super hard to go to a good school and I would be fine if she said she won't pay for it.
But on the other hand all the money I have saved up is from her and my dad - I haven't produced any capital for the family on my own.

-
TLDR - am I a leech on my mom if I'm 18, don't work, and am having my insurance, 2/3 of college, and medical bills paid for by my mom?
Does it matter that it's a good school and I'll be making 60k minimum out of undergrad?

I feel guilty bros.
>>
>>1277977
Are you fucking retarded?
Just go to school and if you feel bad then pay her after you go to school

Is it really that hard
>>
youre normal.. alot of people live with parents even at a later age.. youre just a baby in human years
>>
>>1277977

Don't. Do good your first year and see where you're at as far as time.

Try to get internships in your respective field, get good grades, and network. Aim for being financially independent by senior year.
>>
Jesus Christ. Go to a cheaper school, UofI or whatever state UNI
>>
>>1277977

OP,think of it this way, your mom is loaning you the money now and you can/should pay her back later in life.

Why would anybody willingly WANT to incur student debts when you can get the same results but at 0% interrst?! Do you LIKE throwing your money away?!

I was lucky enough that my parents had saved up for my education so I didn't need to take out any loans. But, I'm paying them back the money, albeit against their wishes.

Seriously OP, if you feel like you're being a leech, just properly pay your mom back plus the interest you would've had to pay had you taken a loan later. She ain't using the money and I highly suspect it'd just be sitting in the bank account, depreciating in value if you use it.
>>
>>1277977

Forgot to touch upon this in my previous post but you also shouldn't take out any loans if your mom is offering to pay.

Its just a personal bias but I HATE needing to pay interest. At least in this case, the "interest " you may or may not pay will all go back to your mom in the end. All loans do is teach you to spend outside your own means. You aren't in a situation where you NEED the money desperately enough, so don't willingly take on needless expenses.
>>
>>1277977
Don't listen to the rentcucks
Save up and buy a reasonable house
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.