[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Volatility
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 1464424949988.jpg (451 KB, 2100x1500) Image search: [Google]
1464424949988.jpg
451 KB, 2100x1500
How the fuck do I compute the volatility of a stock price?

Say I have a vector with a stock's price over n days. How do I best calculate it?
>>
Right now I just calculate the average price over those n days, then for each day I do:

(Price - Average)^2

I sum all of those, then take the average of that, and then the square root of that.

What I then get I divide by the average price, and that's what I use as volatility.

I chose this method because I found it the most intuitive, however I have no actual clue as to how it should really be done. Can /biz/ please help me?
>>
File: work work.png (38 KB, 1654x263) Image search: [Google]
work work.png
38 KB, 1654x263
>>1274408
>>
Bollinger bands with either simple moving average or exponential moving average.
>>
daily expected volatility for the year for aapl is .05%
you should expect to see it trading between 80 and 120 next year this time
>>
Alright boys I figured out how to do it, if anyone's interested I will post the method.
>>
File: notesCF__0__2827.gif (9 KB, 610x351) Image search: [Google]
notesCF__0__2827.gif
9 KB, 610x351
>>1274408
>>1274422

If you could mathematically compute "risk" and account for it, you would have solved the market and introduced a new paradigm in global trade.
>>
>>1274408

Everyone here is a fucking idiot. It's called the variance.

>>1274422
This is the standard deviation which will also work as a metric for volatility.
>>
>>1274681
Fuck off with your smug comment pointing out the obvious and thinking you are all smart for it, he asked for a volatility metric for his data.

Learn to read, you fucking retard.
>>
>>1274686

No such thing as a volatility metric. You'd have to be able to quantify risk, which none of you chuckle fucks can get your heads around.

LOL, technical analysis people are bottom feeders.
>>
>>1274689

You literally don't have any idea of what you are on about.

>No such thing as a volatility metric
- Yes; Variance, Standard Deviation.

>You'd have to be able to quantify risk
- Which is done in one of the most basic theories of finance, the risk premium.
>>
>>1274682
>This is the standard deviation which will also work as a metric for volatility.

I found another way now, I do it with a log approach.

Basically we create new values x_i = ln(P_i/P_i-1). Then we calculate the mean of those, and THEN compute the standard deviation of those x_i.

After that, because I have the vector with prices on a daily basis, we multiply that by the square root of 365.
>>
i mean, literally, you can find daily expected volatility by looking at the option's implied volatility
>>
>trying to use mediocristan metrics in extremistan environments
havent you read black swan by NNT?
>>
okay
CMG
current IV: 28.35%
28.35/19.1=1.48% expected daily volatility
that's about $6.59 per day it's expected to move in either direction
$571 and $319 is the expected range CMG should close in a year
>>
All the work has already been done for you. Just check the beta and the peg ratio
>>
File: NNT.jpg (41 KB, 899x674) Image search: [Google]
NNT.jpg
41 KB, 899x674
>>1275066
I've read it, I was just trying to play around a bit with the Black Scholes equation in MATLAB.

However, how does our friend NNT compute option prices?
>>
>>1274422
this is correct. standard deviation of the price is stock price volatility.
>>
>>1274697
that is return variance and standard deviation.

>>1274689
holy shit you are a fucking retard stop posting
>>
>>1275946
>that is return variance and standard deviation.

I found this method in the book "Option Volatility and Pricing" by Sheldon Natenberg. I should use the other way to calculate it?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.