[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any reason to not get in on a 401K even if my company
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Theimages.png (335 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Theimages.png
335 KB, 640x480
Is there any reason to not get in on a 401K even if my company doesn't offer matching because it's backwards as fuck?

I mean, aside from the fact that I can lose all of my money invested in that particular venture, it doesn't seem like a terrible idea.
>>
Not really

401k with matching or percentage matching is quickly disappearing and I doubt there will be any significant number of jobs that still offer it in ten years.

If I didn't have a match, I'd just max out the Roth IRA and then put my money into other investments.
>>
>>1271810

My first shitty retail job had matching i twas kind of hilarious.

Now that I've got a job I don't hate the only good benefits are the life insurance.
>>
>>1271808
Depends. Do you have control of how your 401k funds are invested? How often do you intend to change jobs? What type of asset classes are you allowed to invest in? How much money do you make/intend to contribute to your 401k every year?
>>
>>1271843

No. Some. I don't actually know. Not enough/probably only about $5000 a year, the same I would attempt to contribute to an IRA.
>>
>>1271810
Is the only reason to not use a Roth IRA as opposed to a normal IRA the income limitation (something like 180k iirc)? Otherwise Roth IRA seems superior in every single way to a normal IRA.
>>
>>1271926
>Roth IRA seems superior in every single way to a normal IRA
It all depends on your current and future tax rates. Roth IRA means yo pay taxes now and not later, and traditional IRA is the reverse.

For MOST people, their tax rates increase over time. They get promotions, get better jobs, etc., and eventually (maybe) move into higher tax brackets. Thus paying taxes now is better than paying taxes later because their tax rates now are lower than they're likely to be in the future.

For some people, however, their tax rates now may be higher than their tax rates in the future. Perhaps they're currently at the peak of their expected earnings, or planning an early retirement. As such, paying taxes now may be a bad choice compared to deferring the taxes to future years when their rates may be lower.
>>
>>1272433
most people retire in a lower tax bracket
>>
>>1272445

You want to pay taxes on your money before compound interest takes effect
>>
>>1272445
>most people retire in a lower tax bracket
That's actually not true. Most people don't move tax brackets significantly in their lifetime. Those who move up and down through the marginal tax rates are a small percentage.

>>1272454
>You want to pay taxes on your money before compound interest takes effect
Actually the opposite is true in most cases. By NOT paying your taxes now (traditional IRA) you have more to compound over the years.
>>
>>1272455
tax bracket was the wrong term

if you save money for retirement while working then it follows that your retirement income will likely be less than your working income as you will not be withdrawing money to save for retirement - i.e. if you follow the 33/33/33 rule your whole working life, the moment you retire and stop saving your income drops by 33%

so it's right to say that if you expect your retirement income to be less than your current working income, do a traditional 401k contribution as you will ultimately pay less tax

otherwise, do a roth 401k contribution and perhaps an after-tax 401k contribution rolled into a roth IRA if you have spare cash

doesn't matter to me - i max out all three contribution types
>>
>>1272461
>if you save money for retirement while working then it follows that your retirement income will likely be less than your working income
Yes, that's why I gave the example for "most" people (even putting "most" in all caps to make it more obvious).

>>1272461
>so it's right to say that if you expect your retirement income to be less than your current working income
Exactly as I said above. The catch is that people are really bad at estimating their retirement income.

In my experience, the best advice is that if you can contribute to a Roth, then you should contribute to a Roth. By the time you become ineligible for the Roth, your income is likely at the point where a traditional makes more sense anyway.
>>
>>1271810
>401k with matching or percentage matching is quickly disappearing and I doubt there will be any significant number of jobs that still offer it in ten years.
Ha ha. Wut? Even fucking Wal-Mart has a 401k match now. Stop taking shitty jobs anon.
>>
>>1272454
>pay no tax on $100 deposit
>$100 grows at 7% for 40 years into $1600
>pay 25% tax on withdrawal
>have $1200

>pay 25% tax on $100 deposit
>$75 grows at 7% for 40 years into $1200
>pay no tax on withdrawal
>have $1200

literally all that matters is the tax you pay on deposits/withdrawals
>>
Max your 401k, retards.
>>
There is literally no reason to not max your 401k unless you are a poorfag living paycheck to paycheck and don't understand the concept of saving money.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.