[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHY IS /BIZ/ FULL OF MEME INVESTORS?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
When I was 21 my parents offered to buy me a car or give me cash as a reward for getting a 1st in Chemistry (US expat living in London), I have no interest in cars or driving so I picked cash, they gave me 25000 USD (before people accuse me of being a 1%er we're actually middle class I'm just an only child with generous retired parents). I partied with it for about 5-6 months then got around to investing it (also lost time finding a decent brokerage firm and getting verified blah blah blah), I was always huge on finance so I made careful choices of firms who's revenue, dividend, and growth history I liked and made sure to build my portfolio on: Weapons, Engineering, Entertainment, Food, Tech. Basically what I believe the safest investments you can make in America, so with the remaining 21k I had I ended up in Feb with:

20 shares of AMZN
20 shares of LMT
50 shares of DIS
100 shares of NFLX
100 shares of SWHC
25 shares of PEP

All well establish companies with market caps in the billions, none of them gimmicky newfangled shit. Those shares today are worth 39919 once you include dividends. In Feb 2016, after all my cautious growth I decided to take a speculative investment, because of my background in Chemistry I knew I wanted to invest in Lithium, (my dissertation was even on the applications of Lanthanides in electrolytes for Lithium ion batteries), I didn't want to invest in third world countries because they're too corrupt for my liking so I went with Australia. I bought 100,000 shares of GXY in Feb for 14000 AUD, this appealed to me especially because 14000 AUD was half my profit from 2014-2016 so I knew if I lost it all I'd still have profited overall. My total net liquidation today is 60918 USD.

My question is why is /biz/ constantly recommending meme-y investments like cryptocurrencies or tiny pharmaceuticals or random IPOs, instead of focusing on safer S&P 500 companies with proven track records? Are you really that concerned with high-risk quick money?
>>
because /biz/ is not a very smart board, and the majority of people on 4chan are not very good at making sound life decisions.
>>
>>1269963
Because it's containment for them.
>>
>>1269972

This guy really hits the nail on its head.

I remember a few weeks back when those cucks where trying to promote some kind of autistico fagget with this new coin system with apps and all.

Shits gay af.
>>
>>1270021

That's quite sad though because most other 4chan boards, as autistic as they are, can be reasonably knowledgeable about their subject (except /fa/ and /mu/) but biz is literally just full of meme-kids trying to use some app on their phone to buy and sell $200 worth of some penny stock or cryptocoin to then post online about their "80% profit" that amounts to basically winning a bet 1/10 times worth 160 dollars. This is one of the few instances where "plebbit" (r/finance) seems to know more about their shit than 4channers.
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (78 KB, 450x315) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
78 KB, 450x315
I like to gamble. No mommy daddy free shit here. All american. Moved out at 16. 26 now, worked hard and own my own small house outright. Only a small amount of $$ to play with right now. In 10 years I'd rather be able to look back and say I got into a startup in its infancy than say I followed the big money anyways.

Have fun banging your boyfriend in the same flat as your ancestors faggot, don't come back.
>>
>>1269963
It's because they're all edgy broke niggers trying to get rich quick and pretend they know what they're doing.
>>
>>1270021
If you're talking about LISK, all ICO investors made at least 200% ROI at the lowest it went.

If they sold right now they'd make 1000%.
>>
>>1270183

>>200% ROI, yet the biggest margin of profit I've heard of on LISK has been some guy who made like 3k. Because even if it was a ROI of 200% you wouldn't risk 30-50k or even 100k on LISK (unless you're so rich you can afford to lose that much), whereas investing in steadily growing companies with market cap in the billions make it safe to invest 50-100% of all your savings. I myself bought 100 Ethereum coins, but if you think I'd put the entirety of my 60k life saving into another cryptocurrency IPO I'd rather keep in AMZN or even PFZ.

>>1270171

>99% of startups fail.

Enjoy spending your whole life scraping together to own a house. And it isn't the same flat as my ancestors, I live in a newly built flat that's 5 years old with a private lift and porter, from which I can walk to wherever I need. As for "no mommy dadd free shit" you do realise at some point in your life your parents paid for you right? I don't get this ridiculous stigma with getting cash from your parents, it's ok for you to be breast fed, dressed, taken care of medically, have free food and board, free transportation, educational expenses paid for, all up until you're 16 (or 18 in most cases), but the minute they provide me with 25k in cash, which I turned into 61k in two years, suddenly all my achievements are null and void?

Stay jealous m8.
>>
File: Photo on 27-05-2016 at 01.00.jpg (238 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 27-05-2016 at 01.00.jpg
238 KB, 720x480
>>1270171

Also nice job owning a tiny house in some flyover state shithole, here's my monthly bank spending.
>>
>>1270374
lol, i made 30 grand on lisk so far by putting 7000 in the ICO. you gotta have balls for this game kid, you'll never make any money playing that safe shit.
>>
>>1269963
You didn't even mention Trumpcoin.
>>
>>1270395

>You'll never make any money playing that safe shit.

You really really don't understand basic economics do you?

Because Warren Buffet didn't make any money making careful investments. You didn't MAKE 30 grand on Lisk, you WON 30 grand on Lisk. There is a huge difference between blindly putting your money into a company that (even if it's idea was good) has no real track record and COULD have fucked you over completely and being lucky, vs spotting global trends and making accurate predictions on developing sectors. You do realise there's a reason why top bankers look at things like earnings per share, volatility, assets vs liabilities, net equity? Or does this all sound like "faggy nerd shit" and you just put all your money into "dope ideas". You made 30 grand on one investment, now what? Are you just going to keep betting on every cryptocurrency that comes around? You're "investment" strategy is completely unsustainable. Also I'm gonna need some proof (I posted mine).
>>
This board began its life as a containment board to get the Bitcoin shills off /g/ in 2010-2011. What do you expect, the first and current users are ADD sufferers who are also generally dumb.
>>
>>1269963
I think it's just the type of people/conversations 4chan attracts. I don't go here to talk about my investment in Berkshire-Hathaway, even though it's been my pest pick historically. I talk about the weird and risky parts of my portfolio because to me, 4chan is a place for finding trends and diamonds in the rough, not sensible mainstream advice.
>>
>>1269963

you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy? Contented cows get slaughtered
>>
>>1270439
*best pick, fml.
>>
>>1269963
We're on 4chan. 4chan.

The chances something will get posted and re-posted is the equal to how many persons find said content annoying or stupid. Look at /s4s/. Is a really dumb board with no purpose or reason, yet is one hell popular and active board, constantly leaking into other boards.

Or look at the bananas.

/biz/ isn't different, the only difference is that instead spamming pictures (and photoshop variations of it), people spam the FotM cryptocurrency. Do you really think the vast majority of the guys shilling ETH do actually own a shit? Or even planning on owing them someday? Fuck, I wouldn't be surprised if the large part doesn't even know how a crypto works, or how their value is determined.

Which is kind of sad. Or relieving. A shill only need to spam a cryptocoin long enough to become disruptive and then a dozen monkeys will spam the same shit, doing the entire pump part. Fortunately, lacking any real money, these monkeys won't affect the market in the large scheme, so there won't be any dump coming from them.
>>
>I bought some meme stock and they went up in value.
You're fucking terrible at investing. Get out while you're ahead.
>>
The meme investments are do make gains for actual investing.

I think most people here want to put a lot of money into something safe to live off dividends.

I started with 150 dollars and have doubled it 3 days straight. I have 450 dollars now.

Can you imagine what I could do with your money?

My first car was worth 2k btw.
>>
>>1270661
how you make that dosh
>>
>>1270374
>yet the biggest margin of profit I've heard of on LISK has been some guy who made like 3k

Some guy made 180k on .000001 lisk.
Also lisk were going for 11 dollars during launch and were worth .05 USD

Strong argument against that guy though who's living his dream while flashing money around like anyone cares. You're another Affluenza case; I can see it now.
>>
>>1270163
>except /fa/ and /mu/
Nigga I think I have a new best friend.
/g/ is actually one of the most legit boards atm
>>
>>1270672
memecoins and cheap high-volume stocks.
>>
>>1270681
so u got lucky. lmao. solid investements my man. in the future ull turn that 450 in 1 million no doubt
>>
>>1270683
You got lucky on GXY. What's the difference?

60k in your safe stocks isn't going to net you anything. You think Amazon is going to be rocking 200 20 years from now, or is it going to plummet when the competitor bumblefuck.com goes public?

Get real. You doubled your Mom's money. I doubled my lunch money selling suckers between classes in middle school.
>>
>>1269963
>1st in Chemistry
>US expat living in London
>uses non American term
I doubt you're American. WTF is a 1st in Chemistry or a 1st in any subject?

Go back to russia.
>>
>>1269963
In short, it all comes down to gambling.
There are some people who play it safe and slowly win money at the table and there are others who go balls to the wall and get a lot of money quickly.
>>
>>1270692

I've lived in the UK since I was 14, a First Class degree is essentially a Summa Cum Laude.

Ironically I am half Russian ethnically though I've never been there.

>>1270725

Technically by definition gambling relies on the outcome being fundamentally unpredictable, of course nothing is TRULY random, so therefore one would argue that if something is unpredictable past a certain point of your ability to use your information then it is gambling.

A simpler way to put it:

Smart people tend to invest in things like renewable energy for example, smart people tend to make more money when they invest in the stock market (literally correlated to IQ).

Stupid people and smart people will make the SAME amount of money playing roulette.

See how one is gambling and the other isn't? Additionally when you buy stock you INVEST in the company thereby contributing to it's capital thereby allowing the company to make more money. Your actions INCREASE the odds of your profiting over a large period of time. In *true* gambling, your actions should not affect the odds of a profitable outcome. The only market that can be compared to gambling is the derivates market or any kind of extreme speculation. I can't believe /biz/ is this deluded.

>Warren Buffett = gambler.

>>1270687

I think you missed the part where I spent several weeks researching companies that were well-positioned to take advantage of a market I KNEW was growing rapidly because it was part of my fucking degree. Li-ion batteries have no feasible alternative because Li is lightest metal.

Is it really hard to tell the difference between dumb luck and informed predictions? Are fortune tellers and expert economists the same in your eyes?

>butthurt that it was my mom's money

You all got paid by your parents in some way, whether it was titty milk or shoes, I got 5% more than you, deal with it.

>Tripling 20k in 2 years is easy.

Great faggot, can't wait to see you do it when you get a job.
>>
>>1270725

I genuinely see so many posts like this, about how it's just a matter of how "hardcore" you go, and if you take big risks you'll get big bucks. I'm curious how many of you will beat the odds and actually end up rich. It's like talking to someone buying scratch cards in a 7/11 lmao
>>
>put £1000 in to ethereum ico
>turns in to £43,000

>Put £1000 in to lisk ico
>turns in to £6000

Op mad as hell

OP mad as
>>
>>1270977

Now what are you going to do? How many crypto coins can you possibly keep pumping and dumping? If you can't hold on to your investment for 20 years there's no point making it.
>>
>>1270977
Right, now selling for Gold
>>
>>1270977
I've put 1k€ in Eth, already lost 30%.
>>
I was there for the .dot com bust and watched all my colleagues lose their entire 401k. Then they lost their houses in 2008.

The market can turn on you at any second. The US markets are due for a HUGE HUGE correction.

Then you'll be down 50% on your Amazon and you'll need to make 100% back to break even. That could take 4,5,6 or 10 years..

The only way to invest in stocks is to wait until people are suicidal and then buy the SP500, some select companies that you wanted and weatherbells like PG.

Everyone is a genius when the market is going up. I bought Silver at 4.30 an ounce and sold at 27.. Wow! I'm a genius.... Not really I bought when people were saying metals would never go up again.

There will big some huge money made with the right crypto currencies. Hell just off foreign remittances. My buddy sells BTC all day long to people sending money back home to their home countries. Over 10k a month at 20%.

Do what you feel is right. you wanna invest in cryptos, then do it. I haven't lost a penny so far and my mining is making me serious bank.
Just paid of my house.. So yeah No money in cryptos.. Yawn..
>>
>>1271176

My uncle worked for a company called Fair Isaac (FICO) at the time of the dot-com bubble, he made more money investing in undervalued stocks than over his entire career before and after. He did the same thing after 2008 when Citibank was priced at ca. 30 cents a share. He passed away in 2013 with no kids and no wife, leaving me and my siblings more money than we could reasonably spend in our lives. There's a reason the saying goes "the rich get richer while the poor get poorer" it's because during every "correction/recession/depression" people who are financially secure enough to have diverse and large assets always come out on top. As Warren Buffett said, be cautious when others are greedy and greedy when others are cautious. Even if Amazon stock goes down (even though my whole point in all my posts on this board is the need for a diversity) and my DIS/LMT shares, even if I lose all 300k I have invested in the S&P500, I will be fine because of my families property/art/commodity assets. The people who will lose money will be the employees of those firms. As long as I don't invest in any ponzi schemes I will be fine.

But that's assuming you're right, when the reality is you're at far greater risk investing in crypto, if you study Nassim Taleb's black swan theory you'll realise that we have a cognitive bias to past outlier events that make us anticipate them even though they very reason they were so devastating was because we didn't anticipate them.

The dot-com bubble happened because the tech sector was an emergent sector. That is simply not the case when you have a retailer like Amazon with 300 billion mktcap.

The far likelier crash will be in new emergent sectors: like bitcoin.

It's pathetic how you guys buy these crypto coins using money from your paypal accounts and think you're going to make it into the 1%, that you're at the big kids tables when all youre doing is cheap pump and dump gambling and accusing actually successful people of the same.
>>
>>1269963
Im poor if I could invest in large cap stocks i would
>>
File: meirl.jpg (180 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
meirl.jpg
180 KB, 1000x800
>>1270163
>>1270677
/fit/ isn't that different. dyel? so /fit/, /biz/, /mu/, /fa/ those are most of 4chan wtf do you want? ofc it's just for fun. fuck you I made almost $3k off of MGT
fucking neckbeards. just because nobody takes you seriously in the real world you want to be cared about in the internet world of "experts". go make your srs bsns youtube channel
>>
>>1271331

Well actually believe it or not I unironically use 4chan as a news source, I find /pol/ has a lot of useful information even if a lot of it is also crazy. I generally tend to feel that 4chan boards are a place where you can engage with people that have a slightly more serious attitude than people on plebbit. I know that sounds ridiculous but I find 4chan to have a sort of seriousness beneath the satire. I am disappointed though that in /biz/ instead of people talking about global trends, S&P500 stocks, dividends vs non-dividend yielding stock etc, it's just a crypto-circlejerk. That's all. I strayed here from /pol/ and really regret it.
>>
>>1270183
The fact that you haven't taken this (>>1270374
) in consideration - tells OP anything he needs to be told.

TL;DR: Seeing (not even making, kek) huge (potential) profits on unstable af platforms can't uncuck you, freaking cuck.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.