[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi Biz, Looking for some advice and life direction. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1461551207065.jpg (16 KB, 237x250) Image search: [Google]
1461551207065.jpg
16 KB, 237x250
Hi Biz,

Looking for some advice and life direction. I'm 23 y/o and I just finished my high school education. I grew up dirt poor, but I made it work best I could. I've been working at Wal-Mart for the last 5 years to save up money. They have a program that will help pay for some of my schooling.

I'll be the first in my family to go to post secondary, I'm really happy about that. I also suffering from severe depression, and getting educated has helped ease some of that.

One of the reasons I put my education on hold is to help my mom out, she suffered a stroke and lost her job. She's was really loving and caring. Sadly she passed away a few months ago.

To be honest, I've found good help on 4chan in regards to advice. /fit/ helped me lose 40 pounds and get into the best shape of my life. I'm coming to biz looking for advice. I'd like to study a field with good job security and ideally I'd like to make six figures after graduation.

I have a long road ahead of me, and I'm excited to end up somewhere better.
>>
>>1268754
Hey, I'm also 23 and about to be the first in my family to go back to school. I also suffer from... well mine is moreso anxiety than depression.
Oddly enough my aunt (who practically raised me as a mother) had a stroke last September. She hasn't passed, but it sucks to see her lose mobility. She's currently in a nursing home pretty much bed bound.

Anywho.... bump. I'd like to know the same. Ive been trying to brush up on my mathematics for the placement test and that shit sucks. Solving for a letter pisses me off.
>>
Buy kneepads
>>
>>1268764
Lel. Ain't nobody sucking dick for money round here.
>>
>>1268754
Google "bigger pockets"

Real estate bud

Thats yer ticket
>>
First off before you go off to college...
Go to your local Tech College or any electric company in your town and get an apprentice position as an electrician.

..or join the Airforce and learn to fix aircraft and let the Airforce pay for your University...

Plan well ... Sorry to hear about your mom OP.
Lost mine last year and it doesn't get alot better. Miss her everyday.
>>
>>1268763
Hey dude, keep you chin up. I know that sounds cliche, but just thinking about positive things has kept me motivated. Like I daydream about being able to afford decent housing or not worrying about rent. I hope your Aunt get better. Sending positive vibes your way, senpai.

>>1268764
You know one of the reasons why I loved my mom so much, she did everything to keep me safe and sound. I know she was a prostitute for bit, when she was battling addiction, but she didn't abandon me. She always made sure I was fed and had a safe place to sleep. I think rich people lack empathy, but it's incredibly important to have.
>>
>>1268776
I'm ok financially. I've saved up $60,000 and I've been looking at student aid to help ease the cost of uni. I'd be happy to co to a tech college, but theirs waiting lists for certain programs, especially anything related to becoming an electrician.

I guess I'd like to go into a field where I can work hard and get payed really well. Also, I don't want my back to be shot by 40.
>>
>>1268754
You're gonna be OK OP, you're gonna be OK. You don't need advice.
>>
>>1268812
Op go for a political science degree
>>
>>1268754
>I'd like to study a field with good job security and ideally I'd like to make six figures after graduation.

There are not many degrees where you can make that kind of money right after graduation in a salaried job.

Right now, although not necessarily by the time you graduate, an engineering or computer science degree can get you that kind of money. However, you have to have one or more of the following: 1) Graduate from one of the top programs, 2) Have a solid internship at a well-respected company, 3) Have done substantial work either at an internship or on your own.

Finally, you'll almost 100% have to work in a high-cost-of-living city: San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, Boston, etc.

The problem with the engineering/software field is that careers may be short unless you move into management. You have approximately 20 years (more if you have genetics that hide your age, less if you have poor genetics) to amass enough to retire because every year after that could be a crap shoot. There is a good amount of age discrimination in the technology industries, especially in software.

If you're willing to wait a bit longer before you make a lot of money, you can consider becoming a doctor or an actuary.
>>
>>1268776
>Go to your local Tech College or any electric company in your town and get an apprentice position as an electrician.

what fictional universe do you live in where they just hand out jobs at the job factory, no prior experience or qualifications needed?

>..or join the Airforce and learn to fix aircraft and let the Airforce pay for your University...

terrible idea if you end up getting deployed.

>>1268929
>The problem with the engineering/software field is that careers may be short unless you move into management.

This just isn't true. I have coworkers in their 40s and 50s, and they are fellow developers. And I work in a young company. At IBM you'll see developers in their 60s with grandkids.

Startups do suffer from this problem, but that's because they're all being founded by 20-30-somethings who want to hire people like their old college buddies.
>>
The feeling when you posses the knowledge to unlock everything for a life, would have been in same predicament as well, with helping my mother. However, with your idealization, you've become my competition, although you deserve it, you will not receive it. Sorry your mother didn't die, and you could have started having to deal with this 5 years ago.
>>
>>1268860
not falling for that meme.

>>1268929
>>1268938
Comp Sci seems interesting, definitely liking it.
>>1269007
>However, with your idealization, you've become my competition,
Not sure I understand? Your whole post is confusing. Dumb it down for me, man.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.