[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lost $1500 in stock market. Need to know if I can write off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: top_1_percent.jpg (37 KB, 698x400) Image search: [Google]
top_1_percent.jpg
37 KB, 698x400
Lost $1500 in stock market.

Need to know if I can write off complete loss.
>>
File: bertstare.jpg (18 KB, 476x356) Image search: [Google]
bertstare.jpg
18 KB, 476x356
Need to learn how to hedge and adjust in accordance to the implied volatility mate.
>>
>>1268597

m9 come on you know I'm trying to get the middle class to cover my losses.
>>
>>1268591
Do you have $1500 in capital gains for the same fiscal year?
>>
>>1268617

I don't.
>>
>>1268622
Fuzzy on the details, but you should be able to write off at least some of it, on Sched D.

Unless you fucked it up by buying the same stock again.
>>
>>1268597
you can't hedge everything man
>>
you probably can. what broker do you use and where do you file your taxes?
>>
>>1268591
You can claim up to 3k in loss a year. It only helps lower your capital gains tax though I think, its not going to "write off" towards your return
>>
you can write off up to 3k in capital losses. Assuming they're realized losses
>>
>>1268664
incorrect. the up to 3k losses is already netted against capital gains (you cant claim 3k losses while also claiming capital gains)
>>
>>1268664

Only capital gains? Which means you're excluding your W2?

>>1268666

Now is it based on your tax bracket?

For example if your tax bracket is 27%, you loss 1.5k, can you only get $405 back?
>>
>>1268673
the capital losses are subtracted pre-tax. As in, if you have 20k in income, and 3k in capital losses, then your taxable income is 17k
>>
>>1268677

Sweet jesus.

But as of right now, the gov is taxing me as if I'm making "20k", they don't know that I'm only "making" 17k.

Which if I'm understanding this correctly, the difference amount between 20k and 17k in which taxes were taken is given back to you?

And if I'm understanding this, you can repeat this until your initial loss is covered?

Correct?
>>
>>1268666
>>1268671
These are correct. Additionally, if you have more than $3k in net realized capital losses, you can carry forward the losses to future years. For example, if you had $10k in net losses one year, you'd be able to write off $3k in that year and carry forward the remaining $7k. Then maybe the next year you have $5k in realized gains. You can offset all of that with your loss carry forward, plus write off the remaining $2k of the the carry forward.
>>
>>1268591
Yes for the next 2 years I believe.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.