[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CV and Resume Advice General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
Aight /biz/, I need a little advice.
I got my A.S. in finance a week ago and have been applying for jobs and internships for the last two months. I just got invited to an interview a few minutes ago for a position I'd pretty much given up on.

My problem is that I've changed up my resume to be 100% better since I'd applied there; the differences are pretty dramatic. Should I bring in my new resume and try to explain it in hopes of impressing them or should I stick with the old one and miss out on a few of the cool things I've added?

Also post your resumes for your own advice and shit. Thanks.
>>
take ur new one with you, if they start tearing you apart on your old one say you realise it's flawed and have a new resume with you which you believe is a lot better
>>
Do you use templates or do you write everything from scratch?
>>
File: resume.jpg (265 KB, 913x1171) Image search: [Google]
resume.jpg
265 KB, 913x1171
>>1267643
def take plenty of copies of the new resume for any supervisors or managers that you might be interviewing with (sometimes up to 4 people or more)

>tfw had an offer for my dream job before graduating but the offer got rescinded and now i'm unemployed as fuck
>>
If I have the "choice" to do a phone interview or in-person interview, should I pick the phone if I'm an ugly, poorly dressed even when I try, awkward, mofo. I feel like I get kind of spergy in-person, stumble over my words, and it'll probably be the same over the phone, but at least it'd be slightly less intimidating.
>>
>>1269507
I've never heard of a choice. Usually they're not on the same level, the phone interview is just a short screening, maybe 10-30 min, the in person interview is much more formal and lasts like 30 min to 2+ hours
>>
>>1269513
But it's a lot easier to make a better impression in person, imo. There's no body language, and theres less time to develop rapport with the person(s) and it can get awkward if you both start talking at the same time
>>
>>1269513
I don't really have a choice but he offered some times on a day for an interview and said if I can't make it to schedule a time to talk on the phone.
I like talking in person too but I feel like I'm worse at it during an interview. Or I'm just shit at interviews in general.
>>
>>1269513
>in person interview is much more formal and lasts like 30 min to 2+ hours

what the fuck? what do you talk about in those 2 hours?
>>
>>1269829
the interview for the job i was offered lasted like an hour and a half, then a half hour tour of the lab and introduction to the team. after the typical why work here and behavioural stuff, they asked about personal interests, career goals, how i'd feel about moving away from home (the position was 1700 miles away). there were 4 people interviewing me, so it was like a big get to know you shit
>>
>>1269880
what job you interviewed for? sounds to me like it was something big if they even took you to the labs.

i think 2 hours is kind of an overkill and i still dont know what they could possibly ask you for an hour and a half, it's just mind boggling
>>
>>1269900
it was an engineering position on lockheed's compact fusion team

we talked about my experience and projects, stuff about being secure with classified information, hobbies and interest, what kinda stuff there is to do in the area, etc. they already think you're qualified if you get an interview so they pretty much just want to feel you out and see if they'd want to work with you
>>
>>1269390

I've had so many bullshit job offers like sales where they pay you dick unless you work 15 hours a day. I have one more months worth of savings left and then I'm gonna have to take what i can get.

Nice eagle scout bro, when did you get yours?
>>
>>1269944
when i was 16 or 17, so maybe 08/09
>>
>>1269916
>lockheed
>compact fusion

if not trolling, then no wonder it took 2 hours+. Congrats on getting it. You like it though?
>>
>>1269964
I would have liked it, but like I said, the offer was rescinded, on the basis of "restructuring" the team or some bullshit.
they were also higher some professors and PhDs and they probably asked for more money or something and fucked me. shits depressing lol
>>
alright guys, an experienced applier here. I used to hire people in my last management position (wasn't even qualified to do HR work, I'm in sales, but muh company resources). Got tired af. After that I've applied to 14 middle management jobs and been invited to 13 interviews of which I got either passed, invited to trial or to the next stage in 9 interviews. As you can see this is an extremely high success rate.

tip 1: the biggest dealbreaker through competition is a cover letter. i can not count how many 3-4 sentence based cover letters i've seen that read "i really want to work here, please give me a chance". write a proper cover at least, minimum a full page. Make it individual to the companies' values.

tip 2: describe previous work experience as broad as you can. for example if you had a job as a cashier in Walmart you can easily lie some bs about holding broad knowledge in logistics, customer support, customer relations, critical thinking/analysis and basic finance.

tip 3: have a deep focus on your 'summary/about me' which will bring out your character and person traits. this is HUGE and compared to other generic bs will make you stand out.

probably not applicable in burgerland, this is yurope source coming from experience of having had interviewed over 50 candidates and made the decision whether to invite a person to an interview or not based on over 5000 resumes.

ps1: do not apply in burgerland
ps2: do not apply via HR companies, they use automatic analysis software, which is utter trash and only values persons education and ridiculous lengths of work experience.

ok quick write up, don't mind the grammar.
>>
File: 1417132267401.jpg (16 KB, 239x215) Image search: [Google]
1417132267401.jpg
16 KB, 239x215
So I was working at geeksquad since January and recently just walked out of the job. I don't regret my decision at all since I was only getting 8 hours a week with a hint that I would get even less over time. The hive mind nepotism of regretful art/liberal arts degree managers and full time coworkers was very high and you couldn't get ahead without sucking up to the losers and my manager was a cunt to everyone she didn't like, never giving positive reinforcement or polite gestures.

Anyways, Could I still get away with putting the 5 months I worked there on my resume. If I don't put it there, I have a year and a half gap from quitting full time work to full time student which I can easily explain and just make it seem like I need money in the summer. Are retail chains even allowed to talk negatively about your employment or are they only allowed to prove employment?
>>
File: 1277270168222.gif (1 MB, 200x207) Image search: [Google]
1277270168222.gif
1 MB, 200x207
Hello and Welcome
Resumefags plz download the Overnight Resume Makeover course @
http://dropcanvas.com/zpf5p
DDL links are under the file HireMePlz

I do enjoy the tragic comedy of these threads.
>>
>>1270290
>malware website

no thx jeff
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.