[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do I do with my free time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 1038.jpg (5 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1038.jpg
5 KB, 125x125
I'm a Junior finance major, pretty much don't know what the fuck I'm doing. Getting good grades and shit, I just feel like I don't have the practical knowledge to do anything.

So /biz/, I come to you to ask: what should I learn on my own before I graduate (or things that will put me one step ahead)? I'm mostly talking technical skills like programming of some sort, SQL, specific things with excel... I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Also any certifications that could help, and advice on where to start. Like CFA, CPA, etc.

I'm just trying to be a little more productive with my free time and do shit that'll look nice on a CV, or actually help me in the future.

pic unrelated
>>
bump because I posted this at a ridiculous hour.
>>
bump for interest
>>
I'm going to be a junior finance major, just finished my sophomore year. Study for the CFA. It's fucking crucial that you pass this and get your Level 1 before you even try and get even into an entry-level job.

Excel, learn fucking excel. Intern. Work for free. Get to know people and make connections. That's all you can do. Talk to your professors too, get to know them, some of them are surprisingly well connected and can offer you advice if you're a good student, maybe even put your name out there. If you're GOING to be a junior, don't worry about CFA for a year, just focus on getting all As and sucking your professors dick (or frat brothers dick) for connections and recommendations. If you're entering your senior year, start studying for Level 1 CFA so you can pass it. Learn the fuck out of Excel and even Python/R while you're at it.
>>
Learn to program in Excel VBA to automate financial modeling. You can do some really cool things with Efficient Frontiers, Option Strategy builders, etc. The process of writing the code will make you understand the process that much better
>>
>>1264283

fucking this.
excel may be the best piece of software ever made. learn the shit out of it
>>
>>1264285
>best piece of software ever made
It's just a programming language with a graphical interface, calm your tits, yuppie.
>>
File: excelmasterrace.jpg (144 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
excelmasterrace.jpg
144 KB, 1920x1080
>>1264302
to make income, fucking used condom

>we excel master race operate on another level
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.