[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is changing your last name worth it? Anyone here do it? I was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: VGU8I2S.jpg (55 KB, 523x604) Image search: [Google]
VGU8I2S.jpg
55 KB, 523x604
Is changing your last name worth it? Anyone here do it?

I was thinking it would be useful for SEO, aesthetic purposes and distancing yourself from your previous non professional life.

Not sure what I would change it to. Lots of celebrities have done it.
>>
>>1262944

No you dumbfuck. That's your heritage.

Even Osama Bin Ladan's daughter that was living in the US and never met him didn't change her last name.

Having a fucked up family doesn't mean anything. No one actually gives a fuck about your no name family's bad reputation.

>Lots of celebrities have done it.

You're confusing having a stage name with legally changing your name.
>>
>>1262948
>Muh heritage

What if your heritage doesn't mean anything? I'm not royalty, it literally doesn't matter because no one in my family was anything more than a regular pleb really
>>
>>1262948
OK point taken.

It's not really that my name is linked to a bad thing, it's just long and cumbersome. Hard to remember and spell for clients.

I am also unable to have a stage name due to my name needing to be registered with regulatory organizations in my field. Not dismissing your post just clarifying my dilemma.

Anyone else want to chip in?
>>
>>1262957
>What if your heritage doesn't mean anything

That's pretty much the entire basis of any argument against not doing this, so there isn't really an issue if you want to do this.

From your original post

>useful for SEO
>aesthetic purposes
>distancing yourself from your previous non professional life

You can do all of these things without legally changing your last name.

You can name the business or stage name you want to maximize SEO and your branding, and you can just delete your social media accounts.

Changing your name doesn't make a criminal record go away, but it can do a decent job hiding it to anyone that is not doing a background check on you.
>>
>>1262960
>it's just long and cumbersome. Hard to remember and spell for clients.

>I am also unable to have a stage name due to my name needing to be registered with regulatory organizations in my field. Not dismissing your post just clarifying my dilemma.

There are no laws that I am aware of that prevents you from just putting a shorter or different last name on your business cards

As long as you're registering, paying taxes, and filling out legal papers under your legal name, does it really matter if you introduce yourself as or put on your business card "Stan "poojet" instead of "stan Poojetpekokputs"
>>
>>1262967
Nah i'm not him but same idea as he has.

I think it's a huge benefit in a lot of cases desu. Most names are indeed cumbersome and it would be easier to just change it to a more business-friendly name, considering first impressions are everything and out 100 people being presented with someone's name, if it's a general difficult to pronounce name I could see a fair portion of that 100 people could associate the discomfort of trying to re-read the name or pronounce it wrong/have to ask how to pronounce it as negative, and thus react to the person worse.

If that makes sense.
>>
>>1262960
I'll also add to my post above that it would help with advertisements/viral/stealth marketing and media mentions. I have two (2) foreign last names that are hard to pronounce and spell.
>>1262978
Hmm interesting. I think that's a better compromise. Maybe a nickname separated by quotations or something on my business card and profiles etc etc. Thanks for the idea! I'll check the laws but that seems very doable.

Appreciate it!
>>
>>1262960
>I am also unable to have a stage name due to my name needing to be registered with regulatory organizations in my field. Not dismissing your post just clarifying my dilemma

This >>1262978
Is correct also.

You can have a legal name used on documents and have your business card or whatever have a different one.

I know a Polish guy whose name was *LITERALLY* impossible to pronounce by anyone other than native Polish speakers. It was just impossible to read/pronounce, the guy spoke English and everything fine though but no one was able to read his name. So he just presented it as something simple and shortform. no issues.
>>
>>1262981
>Hmm interesting. I think that's a better compromise. Maybe a nickname separated by quotations or something on my business card and profiles etc etc. Thanks for the idea! I'll check the laws but that seems very doable

Do it m8, it's a better idea. If I'm not mistaking, a lot of such things have a "Legal name" and a "Name you wish to present as" form.
>>
>>1262944
I have a filthy Arab name sticking on me, nothing of value would be lost if I change it.
>>
Arnold always says that the harder a name is to remember, the harder it is to forget.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.