[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I become financially literate? I don't know what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: tfwdead.png (18 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
tfwdead.png
18 KB, 633x758
How do I become financially literate?

I don't know what people are talking about when they talk about stocks and shit. It sounds like a foreign language to me.
>>
>>1262771
Start reading stuff online.
You could read just the basics and still be way ahead of most people.
>>
>>1262776
yeah it's helping, i uncover a bit more as i go along

right now im just listening to all the positive audiobooks, it raises my hopes, and let's me understand the brilliance of self-made people. I have the frugalness to do it. But I'm ruled by fear and comfort... and have laziness habits. ATM i have 3 medical ailments, I am afraid of ending up hospitalized again. If it wasn't for my insurance... the bill was 50,000... like what...? I was only there for 3 days...

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to living in cheaper parts of america vs near big big cities? I'm living with parents near NYC. But I'm ready to pack up and move down south and live on my own. Since it's the trial of independence.
>>
>>1262796
just remember that increased reward (even beyond the lame 1% banks are paying) equals increased risk.
This applies to everything, so remember it when people shill you about great ways to get rich.
>>
>>1262809
well seemed like the common thing was be frugal, work your butt off and get good at talking to people. The latter two are iffy. I can physically work manual labor for up to 6 hours nonstop. I also can chit chat with my buds at work the whole time. But real adversity from a boss or something.... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...
>>
>>1262796
>advantage of living in rural vs City
Cost of living is nothing comparatively (5k rent gets you a family house a year vs a studio for a month)
If you make a good impression, you will never actually be in shit since the whole "our town folk is family" mentality
Everyone knows everyone
>disadvantage of living in rural vs City
Everyone knows everyone
No real chance to make massive bucks from work
Commute time to work might be a few hours
Variety of things is limited (80 places to "go out" to in 10 mile radius vs 80,000, job choices, social gatherings, etc.)

I personally loathe the concept of living in a small town, so take my points with a grain of salt.
>>
tastytrade.com

Listen for 2 weeks straight and if you find a word or acronym you don't know. Investopedia that shit.
>>
>>1262822
>applies to everything
Sorry, I meant regarding investment.
Even though the return is something like 10 times better, there's a reason most people put their money in something other than Greek banks.
>>
>>1262842
I've read books, watched keynotes etc and I still don't really know shit about investing

diving into tastytrade. hopefully they're entertaining

http://tropicalmba.com/podcasts for your troubles

>>1262809
not entirely true imo

there's outsized reward in many things and a lot of ways to test the market without actually getting your feet wet
>>
>>1262852
That's great. Sounds like you have it figured out.
Good luck out there.
>>
>>1262822
Don't forget to do your homework and master the rules. Without mastery of the rules. You don't know how to play the game.

Gramps had a union motherfucker working for him. Union contract said 15 minutes late couldn't be punished.
First 2 months mother fucker walks in at 8:15 every time just to make the point.

Gramps knew better. Blacky didn't read, the other section about chronic tardiness adding up. Gramps simply showed the time card to the payroll and guy got 7/8ths pay and was pissed. union laughed him away when he brought the case up.
>>
>>1262858
I didn't knoe you meant investing

there are outsized risk/rewards out there if you have the eye to see them (eg Soros' Sterling short). though that's a big if

in general I think there's better ways to make money as a solo guy than the financial markets
>>
>positive audiobooks

FUCK OFF, really, I hate people who have no honor and listen top stupid "self improving" tapes

YOUR CHARACTER SUCKS

work on that

if you need tapes to improve something means: you have no character and are a faggot without honor.

what the fuck am I doing at biz, uncreative feggits without honor
>>
>>1263180
Don't let this guy get in your head. If something works for you, then keep doing it. If self help books work for you, as they should, I mean that's what they're literally written for, then keep listening to them.

I do agree with him on the character part though. Work on your character. Life is more about taking action and doing than just listening to books and not taking action.
>>
>>1262830
It was very clear anon. I was actually thinking of places in the south that are still somewhat suburbs and commute is 45-1 hour to a city and social gather is/will be 15-30min. I also figured I would be 80% working on my own starting out... Plan isn't fully decked out to be honest. I'm using the time I have left with my parents to get learning experience in some kind of classic business/sales job, as recommended in the books.
>>
>>1262872
Yeah I work at a union job. 90% blackies. I'd say of those, some of them are obedient good at their job, some of them take shortcuts, but are still very reliable. The rest, small percent, have major flaws and a small percent of them are lazy and abuse their benefits. This one dude in my area takes 30minute bathroom breaks. But from what I've seen on the floor, you can definitely get em to work with the right benefits.

I just thought busting my ass and ripping my body apart would motivate me and build up my discipline to do better. Instead I got more disciplined at my job, and got sicker physically and lazier in my mind since I was secure at work. But here I am with a kindergarten, perhaps Pre-K, on education about money. Like holy shit, financial knowledge, esp in the 1st world, is like super important, like close to health. I HATED talking about money, now I want to know everything.

>>1262842
btw thank you for that link, i like this, just something to listen subconsciously
>>
>>1263187
>>1263180
oh yeah my character stinks. I'll get on it yesterday
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.