[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think well paying blue collar jobs will ever make a significant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Alpha_Factory-Sewing_Floor_80-90.jpg (459 KB, 2060x1464) Image search: [Google]
Alpha_Factory-Sewing_Floor_80-90.jpg
459 KB, 2060x1464
Do you think well paying blue collar jobs will ever make a significant comeback in the US? Seems to me like that ship has long sailed
>>
There are already well-paying blue-collar jobs. What are you talking about?
>>
>>1262301
That's true, but what I think the OP is getting at is that they're not nearly as prevalent as they used to be. I have one that pays me $100k+. I could raise a family and let my wife stay at home on that, but jobs like that are few and far between. I don't know if we'll ever get back to where we were in the 60s, but I think it would be nice to see the skilled trades make a huge come back.
>>
>>1262310

what does this have to do with anything?
you could raise a family with one salary because that's what an household had.
now with female entering the workforce the average household as 2 salaries.
""nothing"" to do with bluecollar or not
>>
>>1262301
yes but they are more of an exception now
>>
I mean sure it could happen but why would we want it to. Mexicans, Chinese, Malaysians, etc. can do it for so much cheaper. This means lower prices for the American consumer, basically benefitting everyone who's not a factory worker.
>>
Most trades are blue collar and make pretty solid wages.

Typically to make the best money you have to be one of the best in your field, which for some trades is easier than others but its still a time sink.
>>
>>1262291
no, they're a dumb people who can be replaced by machines and even if they can't be replaced by machines you can always find someone more desperate to do it for less. There's no reason to pay well to blue collar jobs unless they can do something that that the average homeless can't learn in 6 months or a year.
>>
>>1262473
Stick to plastic trinkets, Chang. I prefer buying things that dont break in a week because they were assembled by literal retards.
>>
>>1262291
Not unless there is a massive extinction level event over the rest of the world. There is simply no reason to pay an expensive American a high salary to sew sneakers together or forge rebar when a man in China is happy to do it for a tenth of the price.

This isn't a bad thing. It means the rest of the world gets these wonders of modern life for a tenth of the price they would otherwise pay, allowing them to use the saved money for all manner of other things.

Bastiat covered all this stuff almost 200 years ago.
>>
>>1262488
but shoes are still expensive as fuck. The profit margins are just higher
>>
No. It was a freak phenomenon related to the distribution of post WW2 industry that is unlikely to be repeated.
>>
>>1262497
and, I should add, taxes and price of doing business has gone up tremendously
>>
>>1262291

They still exist you just need specialized skills and/or a college degree.
>>
>>1262387
The difference is prices never actually changed. What you pay for a car is the same regardless if the factory is in north america vs mexico vs china. It's just more profits for the overhead.
>>
>>1262566
To add to my comment, the quality also goes down the shitter
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.