[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any lawyers or law students here ? Can you tell me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: law.jpg (61 KB, 960x642) Image search: [Google]
law.jpg
61 KB, 960x642
Are there any lawyers or law students here ?

Can you tell me what it's like to be one ?
>>
>>1261798
I have a family member that just graduated from a top law school with great marks. He studied alot, read alot. I don't think you could get past it with great marks unless you genuinely enjoyed learning about law considering how much shit you have to go through.

He became a lawyer, but, never worked as one. He went in to banking.

Try to grab internships or work experience, there are so many law kids running around.
>>
File: 1423436913264.jpg (180 KB, 580x542) Image search: [Google]
1423436913264.jpg
180 KB, 580x542
>>1261798
0/10
would not recommend
if i could go back i would of picked a hard science or got a doctorate in econ
>>
>>1261811
>He became a lawyer, but, never worked as one. He went in to banking.

Why would he do that if he studied and worked hard to earn a Law degree ?

Did he get tired of it ?
>>
>>1261825
if you get a law degree nowadays you don't have to "practice law." it basically shows you have critical thinking and can do lots of work.

also the law touches every facet of our society. every industry is regulated and lobby's the government.
>>
>>1261825
IB requires knowledge of law also

In a strange way both professions are more similar than not. You'll find a low of law students and former lawyers in the ranks of banks
>>
>>1261798
Paralegal here: if you like a (potentially) high paying job with long (but flexible) hours, that uses critical thinking, writing, research, public speaking, and customer service skills then law is a fantastic career. I'm probably going to go to law school myself in the next few years.

Most lawyers these days don't make a lot of money. Most go to shit schools and the market is flooded with idiots who can't reason their way out of a wet paper bag. If you decide to go for it, go only to a top 30 school. Those are the ones who actually make any money anymore. If you are a ruthless, rotten sonofabitch you can go from making a lot of money to a shitload of money. If you don't mind selling your soul (and your integrity) and don't mind generally being hated by your community in the process, that is.

Whatever you do, don't do family/divorce/auto accident law. The market is saturated as fuck, most lawyers make $35-40k in those fields as a result, and it's boring garbage with godawful clients.
>>
When I was a kid I used to like the idea of being a judge. It always seemed so cool.

But then I heard about the negative sides of it. - super-ridiculous amounts of studying, need to be well-liked, professional, and respectable enough in the community to have a shot, and anyone who is pseudo-dangerous will be after your blood because you handed the verdict.

Fuck that shit
>>
>>1261798
Lawyer here, i work in the legal department of an IFC subsidiary in Colombia
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.