[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me, design student 3rd semester from germany >kinda
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
>be me, design student 3rd semester from germany
>kinda well known musician from france i personally like and look up to contacts me after seeing my work
>wants me to create album cover
>me very excited, not thinking about making a proper business offer and contract
>finishing cover after 17 hours of hard work
>not sending file, asking for a payment agreement first
>sending offer of 650€
>client says he's only willing to pay 270€(!!)
>telling him I won't do anything under 350
>manager of client writes an email specifically asking for an invoice of 350€ to a paris adress and asking for all album cover files immediately
>me being stupid and sending him all files
>not getting any money for 3 weeks
>writing a mail, he says it's his top priority and he'll be able to pay next week
>waiting 1,5 weeks and writing angry mail again
>he responds 'I'm transferring the Bank account of the label from France to America at the moment and don't have the ok to pay yet, I'll keep you updated'
>it's been nearly a week since then

I have the mails and I think it's enough to prove, that he agreed to pay 350€

What should I do now? I know it was stupid to not agree on a contract
>>
>>1260637
Its common for businesses to pay other businesses in 30 days or so. You're a freelancer, and essentially a business.

If it takes too long, take him to small claims court, or whatever the equivalent is in Syrian Germania.
>>
>>1260637
>not sending file, asking for a payment agreement first
eh, if you want any sort of future business or care in the slightest, you would have sent the file and followed up with something like:
"an invoice will be sent next week".

dont fucking hold the file ransom you twit, you're not selling drugs
>>
>>1260637
always get payment first
>>
>>1260657
I've heard of multiple cases, were people didn't pay because they already had the files, it was very hard to get anything from them
>>1260661
I know that now, but it doesn't help me with this problem
>>
>>1260669
then either become legitimate or risk this happening again every single time you try to hock some shit.

here's the breakdown:
>Regardless of whether you get paid, you invested your time by now.
>If you sent the file and an invoice, or anything related to a contract or compensation, you have a chance of getting your money.
>If you just bullshit in emails with a guy, good fuckin luck arguing that one in court.

keep it simple next time, you shouldnt give a fuck what his bank account info is like and him moving money around doesnt concern you or affect the price.
>>
>>1260643
my father is a lawyer and he told me that taking it to any kind of court is way to expensive for this amount of money.
He says the only way for me is a debt collection agency (I hope that's the right english word) but he doubts they accept a case like this with only one mail as prove and the other person residing in france.

I want to know, if anyone has any other suggestion how i can put pressure on this guy
>>
File: dr jones.jpg (32 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
dr jones.jpg
32 KB, 323x323
>>1260678
wait, i think ive got a better understanding of what you did now: you didn't agree on compensation before starting the job, did you?

why
>>
>>1260677
that's true, but I think him telling me to write an invoice of 350€ in exchange for the files is considered a written contract that would be sufficient. I just don't know how to use this 'evidence'
>>
>>1260682
as i wrote in the OP post:

>me very excited, not thinking about making a proper business offer and contract

I'm pretty new to this, I'm dumb and also I wasn't sure if it would really come to the point were my design would get accepted. I'm just trying to rescue what I can here
>>
In the future get a retainer to make sure all parties are serious.
>>
>>1260678
You could represent yourself. Even your father could represent you. But next time, get a legal insurance.

When I don't get what I deserve I always threaten to sue people. Not in so many words, I just give them a reasonable term to pay. And if not then I escalate it out of principle. And I only had to go to court two times. On both occasions I got my expenses back.
>>
>>1260637

>Freelance programmer. 8 years industry experience.

Take this a lesson to have your clients pay you 25%-50% up front. This does two things.

1. Shows both parties are serious about a business transaction.

2. Makes them more likely to pay the other 50%-75% percent.

I always charge 25% to new clients 50% to returning ones. Anyone that has paid the 25% has never not paid. We're talking 100s of clients here. We're in a similar industry so this could work.

Also you basically have no recourse if the amount is small and they don't pay.
>>
I think the problem here is that he'd have to sue someone who's in France, while OP is from Germany.

Good luck suing someone from another country.
>>
>>1260698
I think the biggest concern i have is what >>1260729 said..
>>
>>1260709
call me stupid, but I don't get why you would make the returners pay more?
But thanks for the help, you always learn I guess
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.