[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quitting your job stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1461133470514-3.gif (2 MB, 385x500) Image search: [Google]
1461133470514-3.gif
2 MB, 385x500
nyone here ever quit a career-type job without anything else immediately lined up? Im considering it to spend time starting up a small business and finish renovating my house.

>be me
>graduate uni 5 years ago
>begin working with a small financial services company
>only me, my boss and another employee
>begin training under my boss for a professional license (license required to do the work we do)
>4 year process
>working 50 hours a week
>pay is % of billing revenues, no salary
>making good money
>boss is an asshole, always micro managing people, being passive aggressive, condescending
>boss is a master of constantly asking 'favors'
>2 years in, begin to hate the job and work environment
>2 more years to go for license
>power through 2 years of shit
>finally get license, tell boss im moving to part time because buying a house and renovating (save money not spending on contractors)
>need to reduce monthly billings to accommodate
>boss agrees at lower billing amount, things seem good
>months pass, boss constantly assigning more work to be at similar previous billing amount
>constant push back
>boss always 'busy', pissed whenever asking for assistance (we are both legally responsible for the work put out)
>share liability, boss does no work to contribute
>gets pissed when things dont go smoothly
>constant stress due to his personality and constant deadlines
>boss always has some new idea to share costs with other firms or use some new software suite
>new ideas never work, 1, 2, 3+ times
>other ppl in office lose motivation
>just coasting, keeping my head down
>boss asks me to do more petty shit not part of my employment contract
>'ill pay you to do this' extra stuff, 'no thanks' i say, no time
>boss gets pissed, were all part of a team here (when its something i have to do extra)
>my employment contract only for billable services, no admin shit
>tell boss ill do this extra stuff this one time
>>
File: 1463586434806.jpg (55 KB, 604x517) Image search: [Google]
1463586434806.jpg
55 KB, 604x517
>>1259806

>decide to quite after getting this months paycheck on June 1
>6-12 months cash saved to get me through

Any thoughts biz? When do you simply have to draw the line and take your dignity and leave? Ive already gotten the license which cant be taken away. Im also at a point where my pay per hour or job cant increase without managing others below me. Ready for a change. Anyone else quit there job to take some re-coop time?
>>
>>1259807

By the way, im single with no kids and a very reasonable mortgage amount.
>>
I wish I was in a position to quit a job. IT is a field with a ton of shit jobs that companies churn and burn people with. Every time a recruiter forwards me an "opportunity" there are more red flags than a Chinese military parade.
>>
>>1259812
Mortgage means until death. You are fucked and can't quit.
>>
>>1259829

Thanks for the input?
>>
>>1259820

It also irks me that my job is completely born out of regulation and pretty much is make-work. Were good at what we do and do it better than others on average but it still bothers me
>>
Sounds like you quit a lot later than you should have, to be honest.

I'm in the opposite situation right now. Huge salary, great perks (have my own office), getting good performance reviews, boss is a nice guy but he refuses to give me any substantial work. It was fine for my first couple years out of college, but if I stay in this position my long-term career prospects are really going to suffer. I regularly spend whole days watching YouTube - I can't put that on my resume.

I have another job lined up, though, so I'm closing on details before I quit.
>>
>>1260021

Tbh i would have quit a lot sooner if it wasnt for the professional licesnse that i needed. If i quit half way id basically have to start over.
>>
>>1260021

>has time at work to plan his own bussines
>complains

wagecucks never wake up
>>
>>1260021

It all comes down to time and money. Youre job doesnt sound that bad. I hate wasting time just sitting around though
>>
File: pickup.png (257 KB, 308x543) Image search: [Google]
pickup.png
257 KB, 308x543
> fuck boss throughout company trip
> develop feelings
> can't go out when we return
> work my ass off for her benefit
> all the while looking for a new job
> get stressed
> acquire job
> put in my two weeks
> before I get a chance to officially ask her out I find out she got into a relationship since
> quietly leave
> now bored at a new job that pays more to have me do less

Still don't know what to feel.
>>
>>1260936

Jerk off to the memory and never bang an older chick again?
>>
>>1260956
But they are the most depraved!
>>
>>1259807

I'd leave if for no other reason your boss keeps fucking you over, moneywise.

If it's the kind of work where you can hang your own shingle out and work for yourself, go for it.
>>
>>1259806
>Im considering it to spend time starting up a small business
i can't remember where i read it and so i can't give a source, but you have 2 options:1. quit your job, start a business that must work or 2. start a business in your time outside of work, build it up while having your 9-5.
2 is more likely to succeed. again i can't remember source, but simply it is NEEDS vs WANTS. in option 1 you need to succeed, while watching your reserves of cash constantly dwindle. in option 2 you want to succeed, so will do what it takes.

it might sound like an over-simplification, but needs vs wants rules us. just put in less effort at work and shift your focus.leave when you are making the same money in your new venture.
>>
>>1260936
lol fucking todd is such a goober.
>>
>>1260971
And know how to fuck the best
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.