[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most relevant degree for a small business owner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 211x239) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 211x239
To give you all some background, I work in the family business with my father as the second in command of sorts.
We work in the finance industry (a niche area) and our business has been based online for the last 3 years (with the exception of a home office).
I am currently 25 and had previously went to a sandstone university a few years ago which was a disaster in which I absolutely self sabotaged myself/my degree largely due to a 3 year period of severe depression/anxiety which led to 0 motivation( not going to class/turning up to exams etc etc, all the good stuff). I never finished that degree and have no intention of going back to it .

My father wants me to complete a degree nonetheless for appearance reasons, however I'm wondering for someone in my situation would it be necessary? and if so, which course would benefit a small business owner.

I am debating over choosing between applying for either a Finance major, Accounting or Economics. An outside bet would be Law ( on the slight chance that we might decide to create a practice someday, which probably won't happen)
It seems to be that the emphasis on getting into a specific course at a good uni and getting the degree etc is that it will lead to an excellent job. However in my case that doesn't really fit, I essentially already get paid 120 k AUD a year from my share of the business profits. Would it be worth starting one of the uni courses part time ?
>>
>>1257741
The fuck? Don't bother, degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Don't get one, unless your daddy makes you do it anyway.

In that case, just get whatever degree you'll enjoy the most, or otherwise is easiest.
>>
OP do not listen to >>1257750

There is a time and a place for everything, and a degree is no exception. That poster does not see the value in an education.
>>
>>1257741
What universities are in your area? What are their offered degree programs relevant to your business?
It cannot hurt to use the degree programme to network and gain future employees or contacts whilst learning new skills and boosting the prestige of your company with credentials.

>>1257750
High chances this guy is some NEET on autismbux trolling.
>>
>>1257741

giving your situations, i'll recommend accounting.
>>
>>1257741
More about your situation would help. Maybe he wants to keep up your appearances in front of the old birds of the business? So you won't look incompetent AND uneducated in front of them etc.

>>1257860
Accounting is actually a great idea for anyone looking to head their own business.
>>
+1 for accounting
>>
>>1257860
>>1257909
>>1258066
Yup. For small business accounting is the ticket. Maybe your dad loves you and just wants to make sure you have something to fall back on if shit goes sideways.
>>
>>1257741
>My father wants me to complete a degree nonetheless for appearance reasons.

This sounds kind of dumb wasting time when you are just going to return to the same job. Do whatever related and useful course you would most likely enjoy. Whoever suggested accounting is right, probably the most useful, economics is probably the least useful. Law might also be a good once, also, since you won't be competing for jobs you don't have to go to USYD, UNSW, Melbourne Law to get a job.

tldr pick what you want, i recommend accounting cuz its easiest and most relevant, law is also a decent bet if you are interested in (if u want to read lots of books lol)
>>
>>1259272
I'd argue basic economics is very useful for business management. Understanding concepts like opportunity cost, marginal utility, price elasticity, ... are all extremely useful for decision making.

Sure, after the beginner level the usefulness drops, but that would be the same for accounting.

Do they offer a degree with the basics of everything business related? (marketing, finance, IT systems, accounting?) I think doing that would be much better than specializing. As head of your own business you just need to be able to communicate with the different "experts" (marketing, accountant, finance, ...) you are working with.
>>
>>1257741
Don't bother.

If you can't learn shit on your own at this point using the internet then you're not learning it at some university especially if you already tried.
>>
>>1257741
trade school
>>
Small time entrepreneur here. Shit would help dramatically if I knew how to code or build things.

So...
Computer Science
Engineering in any field
>>
>>1261026
Oh, also graphics design. So focus on technical skills.
>>
Would be simpler to just go buy some books and read them. College has too much worthless stuff.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.