[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Being promoted outside of your group.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 4L_E9HT82PW.png (7 KB, 264x191) Image search: [Google]
4L_E9HT82PW.png
7 KB, 264x191
So I have a dilemma. I'll be the first to say that it's a good dilemma to have, but nonetheless it's causing some anxiety.

>have a job
>work as an engineer in the testing area of our company
>for the last 10 years
>best job ever, fucking love my job like 90% of the time
>can see myself doing this for rest of life

But then, suddenly, a wild option appeared

>get approached by a manager from another group (project management team)
>says he's looking for a new team member and that the job is mine if I want, he likes me, etc
>legit 100%, paperwork and everything for the transfer

Sounds great, right? Here's a list of pros:
>more pay
>new experience
>higher visibility in company and meet new people
>promotion
>sounds like a cool job

And the cons:
>leave my current job and the special project I was working on (which I enjoy)
>will leave my boss high and dry, he'll have to find a replacement, and I really like him a ton
>new boss might be a micromanaging boss from hell
>might get blacklisted from ever coming back to test if I want to later
>hours might get crazy, lots of extra work
>no guarantee I'll enjoy it

So.... Are there any Anons out there that can offer some nuggets of advice or wisdom in regards to this situation? I haven't made my mind up yet, but as an anxiety ridden autist, I like to vet out the scenarios in my head and take other views into consideration.

Better to go? Or better to stay?
>>
>>1253877
Take it u worm
>>
>>1253877
what's the percentage increase in pay?
>>
>>1253888
No numbers yet. But it's a promotion and the company fucking sucks so not all that much. 10% max I would assume.
>>
>>1253877
>will leave my boss high and dry, he'll have to find a replacement, and I really like him a ton
Unless your boss is mental that should be an issue those are the breaks of being a boss people come and people go.
>might get blacklisted from ever coming back to test if I want to later
Once again if your boss is mental or your co-workers are jealous cunts no one will hold it against you.
Everything else is up to you to decide. Maybe strike up a conversation with someone in the other department see what goes on in there without giving away you might be getting an offer. Or better yet ask the manager from project management.
It's up to you to choose if you want to advance and experience something new or keep doing the same old same old.
>>
lol this shit makes me chuckle.

You're being offered a chance to earn more money for less work and you're worried about peoples' feelings.

>Higher pay, visibility, and opportunity
>DUNNO GUYS, WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Cuck.
>>
>>1253956
Great ideas and thanks for the insight
>>
>>1253877
DBAP.

Pronounced deebap.

It means don't be a pussy.
>>
>>1253877

use it as leverage for actual job.
>>
>>1253974
>you're worried about peoples' feelings.
No he's not, he's worried about whether he will enjoy it, and whether he is burning bridges of going back to his current type of work if he ever wanted to.

Did you just not read his post?
>>
>>1253974
retarded
>>
>>1254179
How can it be leverage for actual job, if I already have an actual job?

I'm confused.
>>
>>1254262
Correct. That being said, do you have any thoughts on this?
>>
>>1254275
My thoughts are that this is your decision and you're the one who has to make it

I also think that 4chan, of all fucking places, is a fucking terrible place to ask for advice on a matter like this. Why? Because everyone here is a depressed, friendless autist who will try and put you down just for lulz

You should be asking your family and friends. Especially your family since they're the ones who actually give a fuck about you. That doesn't mean you have to do what they say but it is good to get advice if you don't know what to do.

But yeah ultimately you will have to make the choice OP. If you have asked your family and friends and still don't know what to do then you can ask your boss about your concerns but they will ultimately expect you to make a decision. Either make a leap into this new thing if you think it will be better for you, or stay with what you're doing if you prefer that path. It's your decision.
>>
>>1254273
retarded much?
you have listed a number of PROS to leave your company, that means your actual job if not perfect, there is still room for improvement.

ask your current company to deliver some of them (more pay, promotion...)
if they value you as much as the other company, stay there and get wealthy, if not, go get that new experience
>>
>>1253877
If your current boss was offered a promotion to a new company, he'd take it.
>>
>>1254351
Holy shit. So simple and so blunt. I actually hadn't thought of it like that, but it makes perfect fucking sense.

10/10 would read again
>>
File: 1462296959903.jpg (2 MB, 2152x1614) Image search: [Google]
1462296959903.jpg
2 MB, 2152x1614
My father once told me: Never turn down an interview, and never turn down a job until the salary is on the table

At least hear what they have to say, then come back to your current company and try to have them match the offer for pay
>>
>>1253877

If I had a great job I wouldn't leave it unless the pay change was huge, like 30%+

Great jobs are rare. And getting paid more and going to an awful job is not a good feeling.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.