[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I pay off my student loan debt or invest my money and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1453475864638.jpg (73 KB, 640x460) Image search: [Google]
1453475864638.jpg
73 KB, 640x460
Should I pay off my student loan debt or invest my money and pay the minimum?

Looking at the gains I could have had investing last year instead of paying loans seriously sucks.

The interest rate is 6.55%
>>
>Looking at the gains I could have had investing last year
wtf are you talking about
i got lucky timing the market and my return is at like 12%
if i had to give 6.55% of that to the banks... jesus christ id rather firebomb their building and have no gains at all
>>
>>1247778
So you're saying I should just pay off the debt because its not worth the possible risk?
I could have made 30% but yeah I'll just pay it off in two months and look forward to investing then.
>>
>>1247812
you could have also lost 30% on whatever /biz/ tier garbage youre referring to

you could have gone to vegas and put it all on black too but you didnt
>>
>>1247747
if you can't have more on the money than the loans percentage then yes you should pay it off that is an investment.
>>
>>1247747
Degenerate.
>>
>>1247816
one thing to consider and is why i don't repay my loans in one go but rather pay them off very aggressively (in two years or less) is liquidity. while it is sound to just clear your debt in one swipe student loans are not that big of an issue to hold for long if you are in a pinch.
let's say you lose your job that pays very well suddenly you have no reserves if you payed off your debt in one go from your savings but if you just put a large portion of your paycheck into the clearing you can stop any time you lose your job.
>>
>>1247821
How so?
>>
>>1247747
Pay off debt. In order to make 7%+ you have to incur semi-substantial risk.
>>
>>1247747
>Should I pay off my student loan debt or invest my money and pay the minimum?
what i wanted to say here: >>1247824
is do both!
make a payment plan for your loans but don't let it make a dent on your savings and investments.

if you are absolutely sure there is no way you need to take a loan with worse conditions and interest rate in the future because you pay off the student loan now then do it.
>>
>>1247840
You're never going to make it.
>>
>>1247876
oh please don't keep us in suspense
>>
>>1247747
Pay off debt. I'm currently in the process and it's for the best.

I just shelled roughly $12k a little while ago to pay off the 6% interest loan I had to make my debt only about $20k for the remaining ~3% interest. 2 more of those and I'll be debt free in more or less one more year if all goes well.

I'll be paying substantially less per month now, which is more than what I got out of the investments I made in college while the money was just sitting there. It's gone up and down so much it really didn't turn a large enough profit to make it worthwhile.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.