[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How realistic are my life goals?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: electrician.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
electrician.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
Senior in highschool here /biz/ . Got a 97 on my ASVAB and am enlisting in airforce after the summer to do electric systems. I plan to become an electrician when I get out and live frugally until I am 45, and from there I want to buy property and rent it out and live off passive income for the rest of my life.
>>
That was my score and I went Navy Nuke because the pay is way better. That being said, you want to kill yourself on a daily basis.
But hey, not many people can put nuclear electrician on their resume.

I bought my first house at 24 (4.5yrs active duty) with money I made in the service and the investments made with same funds.

I think I only invested like $3k of my own money for lawyer fees, real estate, and such, but I have really good credit and didnt need a down payment.

The tenants pay nearly double the mortgage price. After HOA fees, insurance, a little extra contribution to the mortgage, and an emergency fund for the house, I make like $100/mo profit, but hey, who cares, the house is getting paid off and not by me.
>>
>>1247767
ive heard many shitty things about being a navy nuke, what is it like?
>>
>>1247781
It really all depends on your attitude and your command.

I was on a submarine for three years. The work was hard, the hours sucked, but I made the greatest friends with some of the coolest people, and I got to see and do a lot of cool shit. I really grew as a person in those three years.

Right now I'm on a carrier. The daily life is marginally better, but the people suck. A bunch of douchebag chiefs who don't feel fulfilled in life unless they're bossing people around.
There's too many places to hide, so people scam out of work, while the rest of it is loaded onto guys like me so that I can just get it done so I can go home for the day.

Regardless of the platform, nukes are always first on the ship, and last to leave. They work the most and are under appreciated.

I'm doing my 6 years and getting out. My secret for using my service to its fullest was that the entire time Ive been in, I've been preparing my finances and personal life for getting out and never coming back. Too many people re-enlist another 4years for the flashy $75k-100k bonus, just because they didn't plan for the future, theyre lazy, or they have no real ambition for their lives.
I never regret becoming a nuke, but I sure as hell won't be doing more than my initial enlistment.
>>
>>1247807
would doing electric systems in the airforce as enlisted set me up for a good future as an electrician?
>>
>>1247826
Look into the US MAPS program. It allows you to use your military job in order to get a step ahead if working towards becoming a journeyman. The hard part that most people don't get through is the work of tabulating all the hours you work doing whatever electrical skills.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.