[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
THE WEED GAME
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7
Say you're already talented at selling, cultivating, or manufacturing weed but you do not live in a legal US market but would consider moving to a legal market.

Out of all the legal markets, I think the best market to do business in would be Washington (WA).

Main Reasons:

1) Shorter residency requirement. 6 months versus up to 2 years in Colorado.

2) Most lax laws on THC concentrates (liquid THC, edibles, dabs, drinks, etc).

WA allows them for medical and recreational.

Just seems that there are fewer market barriers to entry in WA...

Dispensary: You only sell weed. You don't grow or turn it into products (like weed brownies).

Cultivator: You only grow weed and sell it to dispensaries or manufacturers.

Manufacturer: You turn weed into products (weed brownies, dabs, drinks, candies, etc) and sell it to dispensaries.

NOTE: You are not allowed to manufacture and own your own dispensary to sell the product.

How would you make the move from out of state?

What do if could do?
>>
I assume you would need at least 20k saved up for rent alone.

Rent ain't free.

Or is it?
>>
How would one secure funding?

Wall street?
Crypto currencies?
THE DAO?

I'd probably get a bunch of small loans from family and friends.

Are there crowdfunding sites for stuff like this?
>>
ITT: 420 retards being retards

/thread
>>
>>1247118

Not really. Started as an underwriter in the insurance industry out of college to now (late 30s).

Saw the first marijuana companies emerge through the lens of the specialty insurance industry.

Worked to develop some of the first loss control provisions and underwriting guidelines for the industry in CO.

I get that the whole "420 retard" stereotype makes this a less serious topic on here...you're probably right though.

Nobody will take this seriously on here...
>>
>>1247031
>Dispensary: You only sell weed. You don't grow or turn it into products

That's where you want to be.

The guy growing the weed makes fuck all.
The guy making brownies makes fuck all.

You'll take whatever the dispenser offers because YOU cannot go out and sell your product to anyone else.

Same with the manufacturer; you'll be busting your ass catering to the dispensary because without them you make nothing.

In normal ag markets you can expect a 40% loss on produce from spoilage and acts of god; that means whatever figures you have now, take out 40% of that right off the back.

Factor into the licensure cost, cost to get seeds/fertilizer/grow-lights/et cetera.

It's a very expensive endeavor, one I did in Arizona, and the problem is there is too much competition. The costs are such that often the black market weed is cheaper, and the law is written so the consumer is pretty much never at any legal risk provided they've got a medical card, so there is no purpose for them to bother going to a dispensary, the only people who will be carrying your product.
>>
tldr; I personally would not be interested in it at all. I literally went from growing pot to growing corn and made a higher profit to put things into perspective, but it's doable. You have to get into an emerging market, a state that is just barely legalizing it, you have to go at it aggressively with a ton of capital, and you have to carry a lot of risk because the time to go in is during the transitory phase, and in that period you will be harassed by police constantly who either don't know the law or don't care, or are feds who will charge you under federal jurisdiction.
>>
>>1247031
Come do it in Alaska bro it's Virgin territory and I'll buy shares in your company
>>
>>1247286

Interesting...being at the mercy of the dispensary makes it tough for both processor and manufacturer.

Thinking of it in terms of capital expenditure and overhead I'd imagine that the ranking would be:

1) Cultivator.

Most capital intensive with the lights, water, energy, square feet for real estate / achieving economies of scale.

2) Dispensary

Not sure why, I think could mix up 1 and 2 but this would be on my basis of why I think manufacturing is the cheapest..

3) Manufacturer

You could easily be a "one man shop" if you create a good process / product. For that reason alone I think it's probably the least expensive from the perspective of startup capital but maybe there are hidden costs like testing, labeling, quality checking, etc.

Appreciate the input...personally I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to work at a dispensary (or at least network) and then maybe venture out into maybe manufacturing to maybe bypass the legal restriction of only being able to have one type of license.

We'll see...
>>
>>1247429

I just might...imagine the rent would be cheaper in some places versus trying to hang a shingle in Seattle, Oregon, or CO.

Maybe AK ain't bad but not sure how the law is on concentrates / infused products...
>>
bumping since im in Canada and wanna get into the weed business once Trudeau gets his shit together and legalizes it (if he ever does...).
>>
If you've got actual business sense why don't you just start a normal, non-retard business?
>>
>>1247993

Just seems that there's the best ROI for a non-retard to try and capitalize on the "retard business" game.

The people who made money during the gold rush were not the people slaving away during the gold rush looking for gold.

The people who got rich were the people selling shovels to the people in the gold digging rat race...
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.