[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you scan receipts? Is there a good workflow that exists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Lemon-2.png (584 KB, 620x464) Image search: [Google]
Lemon-2.png
584 KB, 620x464
Do any of you scan receipts?

Is there a good workflow that exists besides dumb-scanning every paper and tagging it?

I've tried the following and it seems like everything has its drawbacks:
> Evernote + ReceiptMate
> OneReceipt
> Receipts by Wave
> ScanSnap
>>
>>1244260
why would you scan them tho?
>>
>>1244276
Just to keep records + to balance credit cards/checkbooks. I'd rather have a permanent digital copy than the papers.
>>
Been thinking of doing that for my record keeping but haven't bothered yet.
>>
Also I think there are little scanners made for digitizing business cards, you could try one of those.
>>
>>1244303
That's what ScanSnap is, I mentioned above. I used one of the nice Fujitsu ones for a month but it wasn't a perfect solution either.
>>
>>1244260
I dont scan receipts. Budgeting should be done in advance, aka "I'll spend x on groceries next month"
>>
Can you scan your balls?
>>
>>1244378
Basically this.

You only keep receipts to make returning things easier. If I bought from a sketchy place I might keep it till I see it clear on my online account and then just throw it away after that.

Doing anything else with a receipt sounds like a waste of fucking time and effort.
>>
>>1244260
whats the point? does your bank account lie to you?
>>
>>1244378
This is only what poor idiots who live paycheck to paycheck do.
>>
>>1246563
Do a quick 80/20 analysis of your receipts
say you'd make a rule like
if its below $25 and not on reimbursal it won't matter.
>>
>>1246560
>>1246563

For me there's two main reasons
1) Balance accounts
2) Spot fraudulent or incorrect charges

For example a restaurant may overcharge because they misread a tip amount. Or I may get a fee or other charge of some kind without my knowledge.

I don't know an easy way to catch things like that unless you keep track of your charges. And if you have 150+ charges a month, it's hard to notice it without having some system.

Do most people just not give a shit or am I over-analyzing this?

I do like the sound of >>1246850 as a way to cut down on this.
>>
I make all my purchases on debit/credit so I always have a record of transaction online, so they only reason I would need to keep my receipts would be to claim a deduction during tax time, which i really should start doing.
>>
>>1244260
I've never scanned receipts. Too time consuming. I maintain 3-ring binders with 8-1/2x11 sheet protecters that you can get from any office supply store. All receipts and supporting docs go in there. Sorted by date. I start new binders with each new year. Scanning (unless its something truly important) is a waste of time.
>>
>>1248483
How long do you typically keep them?
Why do you keep them?
Isn't it difficult to search vs digital equivalent?

Curious because I also used to do it this way but found it harder to reference/find anything later.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.