[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about majoring in Accounting Anyone here do this for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: accountant.jpg (107 KB, 980x1300) Image search: [Google]
accountant.jpg
107 KB, 980x1300
Thinking about majoring in Accounting

Anyone here do this for a living? How is it? are you happy? Also i know that math is involved but can you talk about what kind that would entail. Im not too good at algebra but besides that im okay with numbers.
>>
>>1242069
Did 2 year's and droped out, I'm borderline retarded nonetheless.
>>
>>1242069
>not so good at algebra
You're fucked.
But in all seriousness, don't go into accounting expecting an enjoyable, rewarding job. It's a fucking grind of a job, but it pays well if you're any good. Once you get chartered it pays even better.
>>
friend of my dad's accepts a small wage for what he does (accounting) because he doesn't want to pay so much tax... don't fuck with accounting unless you work for yourself
>>
>>1242132
do i need to be good at algebra if i want in?
>>
>>1242142
is this meme?

not that much, you will work with calculator/software that probably solve your meme problem.

but if you have problem with algebra, i doubt you can pass accounting because calculator and programming shit is just used to make your work faster and accurate after you understand algebra then more focus on doing job that machine can't do.
>>
>>1242135
>work for yourself

what does this mean?
>>
>>1242211
I am currently majoring in accounting. I have used ZERO algebra. I have no clue where you're getting this info.
>>
>>1243668
wtf? zero accounting? what have you been learning all this time?
>>
>>1242069
bachelors in math but starting a 2 year masters in accounting program this fall. hopefully i get a big 4 meme job for $55k/yr.
>>
>>1244607
if you graduate your masters program with a good GPA, you could definitely get on with a big 4 firm.
>>
>>1244622
ive always been a good student and my school is recruited by big 4 (50% of accounting undergrads intern/coop with big 4 and 90% of accounting undergrads intern/coop period) so im hoping good performance + masters degree + cpa eligibility means that ill get in with big 4.
>>
>>1242069
Accounting is the epitome of a wagecuck degree. That being said, don't do it unless you go to a top 10 undergrad business school.
>>
>>1244660
>decent starting salary
>good projected job growth
>stable career
>great career trajectory if you're a hard worker
>professional licensing requirements
>not easily outsourced in some aspects (on-site audit and other client-facing lines of service)

but yeah, go ahead and study STEM meme degrees. twice as difficult for nearly the same pay (unless you live in a high cost of living area like silicon valley or nyc) but with the fraction of the stability.
>>
>>1244660
hahaha big 4 firms recruit from literally every State U in the country. You literally have the same opportunity for success at a big 4 firm graduating from State U as Ivy League. It is all based on your ability once you are employed.

There is a gulf between State U and commuter college though. commuter college doesn't get recruited like State U does.
>>
>>1244622
Yeah, but this only works if you're sociable and not an autist

>source: Bachelors in Physics from Stanford University
>>
>>1244883
that is true as well.

interviewers look for people who will fit in with their firm culture. You need to be sociable, able to hold a conversation, be self confident, and dress like you belong in a big 4 atmosphere.

If you have shaggy hair, unshaved, stare at your feet when you talk, and mumble, you wont be getting a big 4 offer.
>>
Why big 4, though? Other people like it when you have that on your resume, but if your ultimate aim is to work for someone else why not skip the middle firm? I hear most do 2-3 years of big 4 and move on because it's a workaholic hell.

Still I may or may not apply there, but it's a low priority.
>>
>>1244940
>I hear most do 2-3 years of big 4 and move on because it's a workaholic hell.
It is which is why most people do 2-3 years. Nobody sane would do more than 5 years, but having a big 4 firm on your resume is worth it because makes it stand out above everyone else. You are pretty much guaranteed a good job once you do a couple years in a big 4 firm. Big 4 opens all the doors.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.