[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Notch capture lightning in a bottle with Minecraft? How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 3008527227836601152_1.jpg (439 KB, 1600x880) Image search: [Google]
3008527227836601152_1.jpg
439 KB, 1600x880
How did Notch capture lightning in a bottle with Minecraft? How can a game reach Minecraft's success?
>>
>>1235640
it's just one of those things that happens by luck

you might as well be asking how to make the next hugely successful social media platform
just make a game or website that works right and fuckin roll the dice
>>
It all happened at the right time and right place. You just need to figure out where the industry is going and beat everyone to it.
>>
>>1235640
he stole the idea from another game (Inifiniminer by zach barth), fleshed it out and made slightly better graphics, and then shilled it during development on /v/.

Essentially he just got a lucky break that it became so popular.
>>
>>1236037
did he actually post about it on /v/? that's pretty funny
>>
>>1236037

Welcome to real life, everything is about branding.

Infiniminer was made by some recluse and looked dark and sterile even though it was basically the same game. Notch saw a great game structure and put life into it. Notch sold normal people and children on a game made by an autistic engineer by making it vibrant and giving it a culture with memorable game entities and sound design.

There's nothing lucky about creating character designs that kids want on t-shirts, posters, etc
>>
Learn a graphics engine stick to what you know
>>
the first few hours of minecraft are some of the most enjoyable gaming i've ever done.

it quickly loses it's appeal though.

I feel like the draw of achievement is so high in those first few hours.

Going from nothing to building a house and small mine and maybe a train track around the place is so satisfying.
>>
>>1236102
>Infiniminer was made by some recluse and looked dark and sterile even though it was basically the same game. Notch saw a great game structure and put life into it. Notch sold normal people and children on a game made by an autistic engineer by making it vibrant and giving it a culture with memorable game entities and sound design.

something similar happened to me. learned a valuable lesson that day. i was a very popular map maker during the golden era of custom wc3 maps. i was not the most technically skilled mapmaker (coding bros were able to create incredibly complex things for instance, i didn't not know any coding) but i had a ton of original ideas, creativity, and managed to work around obstacles by finding creative solutions to problems (that more skilled mappers would have solved by writing custom code). i created a map concept that was completely new, creative and tapped into a new niche that players seemed to love. my map, even at early stages, became quite popular. one day some faggot took my idea, fleshed it out more professionally, put his name on it, and published it. it became massively more popular, even though literally all of the core principles and mechanics were copied from my map.

it wasn't dota (although i bet dotas story is very similar!), or footman frenzy, but something that had comparable popularity for some time.

this is a VERY valuable lesson to learn when you are young and naive. in the world of business it can mean the difference between being a multimillionaire and remaining a nobody.
>>
>hurr durr someone stole my idea
it was never about the idea, execution is 99% of what matters
>>
>>1235640
He moxed sandbox with legos and captured that slow drip dopamine rush effect that kept people playing games like civilization for thousands of hours

So IMO he just got lucky but it plays off both biology and neckbeard psychology

Another interesting example is angry birds - guy just retuned someone elses game concept (plenty of the same mechanic came before)
>>
>>1236102
Real life or late stage capitalism same dif

You can have a shitty product as long as the marketings solid
>>
>>1235640
Make a game that mimics real life where you can get stacking and saved progress.
>>
File: 1462252142300.jpg (72 KB, 590x518) Image search: [Google]
1462252142300.jpg
72 KB, 590x518
>>1235640
>tfw you're the autismo technical type
>your marketing peers are confident, good presenters
>their careers take off while yours stagnates for decades
>whatever puny technical prowess you had is now obsolete
>now you're just a bitter, withering wagecuck
>no ambition to pursue ideas now
>maybe penny stocks or cryptocurrencies? cough cough
>>
>>1236121
Vamipirism, mauls/TDs, Angel Arena, Hero line wars, X-hero Siege.... You name it, I played it. Tell us anon
>>
>>1235640
he made something that gave bored people something to do and show off to other people.
Minecraft is a very social thing. and not only that its super simplistic so its easy to make mods and appeals to simplistic people (ergo everyone)
>>
>>1235640
It's the ultimate meme game
>>
No idea. To me the game is boring as fuck.
>>
>>1235640
He did it by samefagging and promoting his game on /v/ board. Literally.

That is how the snowball started.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.