[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Edxg/ EDX General - Poorfag and NEET mandatory viewing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /biz/ - Business & Finance

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: edx_logo[1].jpg (16 KB, 364x248) Image search: [Google]
edx_logo[1].jpg
16 KB, 364x248
https://www.edx/org

Came across this from that other anon's OP post, but this shit seems pretty damn useful for NEETs looking to learn pretty much whatever.

Question: Are certificates worth it? Strictly speaking about from notable founder institutions like Harvard or MIT. They cost about one day of wageslaving at min wage, maybe two.
>>
>>1233368
Come on, /biz/ this is actually useful shit.
>>
edX, Udacity, Coursery, MIT OpenCourseware etc.

NEETs are NEETs because theyre lazy. Not for lack of resources
>>
>>1233619
This
>>
>>1233637
Ah, well, that's a shame.

Any idea if the certificates are worth it? Not for every course, but for like mathematics/physics.
>>
I have like 10 certificates from Coursera. Haven't done shit with them. If you put them on your CV its not like its gonna hurt though. If you are a NEET or whatever and you are planning on education in one way or another then this is probably very useful.
>>
>>1233368
Thanks for posting this OP. I just made an account and finished the demo course. Now I'm looking at some of the courses available.

Do you think it'd be a good idea to make a discord so anons doing courses can chat about their experiences and learn together? I think it'd help us be motivated to complete the courses if we could talk and update each other on our daily/weekly progress.

I'm up for making a discord if anyone wants to join.
>>
>>1234233
It sounds like a good idea, though I have no idea how much of /biz/ will join in.
>>
>>1234248
Alright, I created a discord for anyone doing free online courses who would like to chat with other anons doing courses.

Here is the invite link
https://discord.gg/0zlRlveS7Q1Vd0Rr
>>
Bump for knowledge
>>
>>1233368
Any courses anyone suggests?

>>1233619
I'm a NEET and poorfag because I'm a loser cripple with poor health.

I've got over 300 certificates on shit from Udemy but nobody cares about them.

>>1234196
Depends on the price, I guess.

>>1234224
I've never used Coursera. I have it but I've never used it. I prefer the self-paced feel.
I usually use FutureLearn and Udemy.
>>
>>1233619
Yes, but we should treat laziness as a disease imo.

And, MOOCs are really shit for learning imo. You need a good environment and structure to succeed. That's why you can't just learn from a book.
>>
>>1233368

Let me guide you, anon.

www.launchcode.org

This is a nonprofit with offices in St. Louis, Kansas City, Miami, and somewhere around NY, others opening soon.

If you have programming abilities, they can place you in a programming apprenticeship. The apprenticeship lasts 3 months and pays $15 an hour.

After three months, the company can choose to hire you as a permanent employee. 90% of workers placed in apprenticeships are hired on and the average starting salary is $50,000.

The average salary for programmers is actually higher, however. After 18 months to 2 years at your first company, you should be able to either get promoted or jump to another company making substantially more.

The only requirement is demonstrable skill. A couple projects in a GitHub repository is sufficient.

I was placed through LaunchCode when they first started. I applied and they suggested I do CS50X, Harvard's intro to computer Science. I did and in doing so learned JavaScript, PHP, and SQL, in addition to some C. I already knew HTML and CSS and knew I wanted to be a front end developer.

I made a project in JavaScript and they placed me as a junior front end dev working mainly in JS and PHP. I was hired after 3 months with a starting salary of $58,000.

Last month I said goodbye to that company and began working at a medium sized startup in St. Louis, MO, my home town. I now make $84,000 comfortably doing a job I actually enjoy.

I am a college dropout and all of my prior work before LaunchCode was food service and call centers. Now I have the highest paying job out of all my friends and daily drive a (gently used) Porsche 911. I can't speak highly enough of LaunchCode, they changed my life.

So yes, I think there is value to self learning and EdX etc
>>
>>1235128
That's actually extremely helpful. Thank you very much.

>>1235112
We have a discord. I'll admit that we can't scoop anons out of their homes or apartments and put them on an artificial university campus, but we can try to be there for one another, at least.
>>
Morning lads, bump to spread the word.

If this becomes a general, I'm totally adding that launchcode info, familia.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.